11 Things You Should Watch Right Now

11 Things To Binge Watch Right Now

Why not take some of that time to watch a new movie or show?

33

Let's face it, we've all been there before. We're sitting there scrolling through things to watch, and nothing is peaking your interest. It takes a while before I settle on something to watch, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

With school starting up again, parents out there are about to have a lot of time on their hands again. Why not chill in the living room with snacks, having the entire house to yourself? Also, some college kids might be looking for a good thing to occupy their time during study breaks or during the occasional weekend wind-down. Why not take some of that time to watch a new movie or show?

As a film student and film buff, I love watching new movies and watching new shows on the daily and never really get to share the gems I've found with others, so I have compiled a list of 11 new or recently released movies and shows you should consider watching.

1. Mary and the Witch's Flower

This is for my parents out there who kinda like to watch their kid's shows when they aren't home. Hey, no judgment whatsoever; when I babysit my nieces, I lowkey watched multiple episodes of Shimmer and Shine and Elena of Avalor FAR after they went to sleep.

Mary and the Witch's Flower is a Studio Ghibli-esque film with a fun Harry Potter vibe! It's a cute cartoon that your kids would probably like as well! I found the film to be quite fun and a delight.

2. Oceans 8

Ok, let's face it: sometimes sequels suck, but sometimes they don't. Oceans 8 is the latter in my opinion. Seeing Sandra Bullock, Sarah Paulson, Mindy Kaling, and Rhi-Rhi being bad-ass ladies together is awesome to watch. The backstory does split off from the original Ocean's main character, Danny Ocean, to his sister Debbie, played by Bullock. It's not crucial that you watch the rest of the series before watching this one. A definite recommended watch that I'm sure you'd enjoy.

3. Disenchantment

If you like "adult" cartoons you'll love Disenchantment. From the same creator of The Simpsons and Futurama, Matt Groening has created another little fun gem to watch. The show follows a rebellious princess and her sidekicks through multiple adventures. It's a fun watch and not too raunchy, but be warned it does have its vulgar moments. Though really, it's to be expected.

4. Insatiable 

Ok, this show has caused a lot of strife in social media, which is the reason why I watched it. If you like dramatic shows where the story takes unbelievable dramatic turns, then you'll like it. The show follows a heavy-set girl named Patty who loses her weight due to an accident. She then goes on this very crazy downward spiral in a very dramatic "coming to terms with herself" story. The show is actually well-written, and it's very funny to see how all these hidden and very flawed characters react to situations that make them better, or even worse in some cases. It's a great watch, and don't knock it down if you haven't watched it. Form your own opinion on it and then speak; I did and was pleasantly surprised.

5. Ozark

If you love Jason Bateman and drama, you'll love Ozark because I sure do. Ozark follows Bateman's character who helps launder money for a drug cartel. He gets into a spot of trouble that leads him and his family to move to the Ozarks and launder money there. This show is a great binge-watch because every time an episode ended I had already clicked to watch the next. A must watch, and a very well written show.

6. The Good Place

If you're a fan of Kristen Bell or Ted Danson you'll adore The Good Place. Both Bell and Danson play characters that are out of the norm for them, and they do amazing in the show. The show follows Bell's character in her journey to the society of the afterlife. There is a big twist involved, but I'm not going to spoil it for you. You'll have to find out yourself! The Good Place is a fresh of breath air and is a must watch.

7. Women He's Undressed

This one is for all my documentary lovers out there. This documentary is a memoir about famous movie costume designer Orry-Kelly. Kelly was a groundbreaking designer that did over 200 films in his career and won three Oscars. Pull back the veil of old Hollywood and witness the story of the man behind the stars. This is a personal favorite of mine, and I recommend it to anyone I run into that says they like older movies. Please take time to learn the story of Orry-Kelly; it's one for the ages and one you have to hear to believe.

8. Life of the Party

If you're looking for a good chuckle, look no further than Melissa McCarthy's Life of the Party. The film is a classic McCarthy/Falcone comedy and follows her character as she returns to finish college as an adult and mom alongside her daughter. It's a classic comedy movie formula that's a good laugh for any occasion.

9. Hurricane Bianca

Rupual's Drag Race is cultural phenomenon that has taken the media by storm. Hurricane Bianca is a drag comedy anyone from any background could love. It follows Rupaul's Drag Race winner Bianca Del Rio in a fun comedy of finding her place by overcoming and re-shaping the minds of a small Texas town. It's a fun watch for anyone who likes sassy comedies and powerful messages.

10. The 100

Want a whole new series to binge watch? Look no further than The 100. I love this show. It's one of my personal favorites, and I tell all of my friends who want something new to watch to see it. I like to describe it as a "post-apocalyptic Game of Thrones." The story follows a new generation of young people who fled from Earth due to an apocalyptic event. 97 years later they are used as guinea pigs to see if the Earth is habitable again. This show is a whirlwind of twists and turns, and I find myself still gasping as some of the events that unfold. It's a recommended watch, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

11. Crazy Rich Asians

If there's any film I could recommend anyone to watch this fall, it's Crazy Rich Asians. Based on the book, Rachel Chu finds out her fiancee is more than meets the eye and is wrapped in the world of wealthy Asian politics and crazy scenarios. The cinematography is beautiful, the writing is spectacular and it's an overall astounding film. After I watched it, I turned to my friends that saw it with me and said: "that movie is going to be a cult classic, watch." You have to experience this film to believe me, and trust me you'll love it.