Who Could Possibly Replace Mickey Callaway As Mets Manager?

5 Potential Candidates Who Could Possibly Replace Mickey Callaway As Mets Manager

John Gibbons is a name I have not heard around the Mets much as a potential candidate but I believe would be a good change for the Mets.

518

So, Mets fans, it is safe to say, that our manager Mickey Callaway will not be the manager of the team very much longer if the team's performance continues to be what it has been for the last two weeks or so. For that reason here is my list of potential Mets managers that might not only be able to turn the 2019 season around but also change the culture of the team for the future.

5. Jim Riggleman

REDS

Jim Riggleman's name might sound familiar to you Mets fan. It does because he is currently the Mets bench coach. Some believed he was hired just in case the Mets found themselves in the exact position they are now. I think Riggleman would be a good hire for the Mets. Not only have the players had some time to play for him but he has a history of taking over underperforming teams in the past. Just last year he took over the Reds after their worst start in history and finished 60-84. That might not look good on paper but the Reds were a much more competitive team under Riggleman. He also has experience in the division coaching the Nationals from 2011-2013.

4.  John Gibbons

TOR Blue Jays

John Gibbons is a name I have not heard around the Mets much as a potential candidate but I believe would be a good change for the Mets. Gibbons coached the Toronto Blue Jays from 2004-2018. His career record as a coach is 793-789. He had some great seasons in Toronto but also some bad ones. He was a game away from facing the Mets in the World Series in 2015, a string of years where the Blue Jays had seven winning seasons in nine years. He coached in arguably the toughest division in baseball, that being the AL East, where his teams always played hard. If the Mets do decide to move on from Mickey, I seriously hope they consider Gibbons.

3. Dusty Baker 

Dusty Baker

Dusty Baker, all the man does is win, and that is why I am so surprised he does not have a coaching job right now. Although his managerial style is a bit unorthodox and old school, the Mets might need that. Clearly, new school has not been working. He has a TON of experience as a manager and coach in baseball. Baker bodes an 1863-1636 record as a skipper. His teams have had losing records in eight of his 22 seasons! So hiring Dusty almost guarantees a competitive baseball team. There is however one underlying issue. Baker has struggled mightily in the playoffs, even boasting a lot of competitive teams he only has one NL Pennant to his name.

2. Sandy Alomar Jr. 

Indians

Sandy Alomar Jr. is an underrated candidate for the Mets job and a name you probably will not hear much chatter around if the Mets manager position does become open... however, I believe the Mets should be very interested in Sandy Alomar Jr. for multiple reasons. First, he is a former player and there has been a great trend of former players being successful managers in the new era of baseball. Also, there are some ties to the Mets organization... he played for the team in 2007 and his father was the Mets bench coach for five years from 2004-2009. The Alomars are baseball lifers and that could be a steal of hiring for the Mets.

1. Joe Girardi

Hot 97

And finally, if dreams were a reality if Mets fans can only pray enough to the baseball gods... Joe Girardi. Do I think Joe Girardi would take the Mets job if offered... no. But this man did coach the Marlins before the Yankees so who knows. He is perhaps the most successful of the managers available in all aspects of coaching... regular season and postseason. He a ring and he coached some of the best Yankee teams the franchise has ever seen.

However, it was his coaching in 2017 that made it so surprising they got rid of him. He took a Yankee team full of cast-offs journeymen vets and rookies one game away from the World series. If that line right there does not scream the Mets blueprint of building a baseball team, I do not know what does. As I said before if dreams were a reality, Joe Girardi would be on the first plane to Queens and be named the Mets manager tomorrow. However, I just can not see that happening... it makes too much sense for the Mets.

So as the 2019 season continues let's hope us Mets fans are not faced with the issue of Callaway being relieved mid-season. However, regardless of results in 2019, it feels as if Mickey is and should be shown the door ahead of the 2020 season.