'You' On Netflix

I decided to begin the new series on Netflix, "You," upon seeing good things about it online and seeing familiar faces from "Gossip Girl" and "Pretty Little Liars" — Penn Badgley and Shay Mitchell.

I had no idea what this show was going to entail, but I decided to randomly give it a try. Although the show immediately draws you in with its crazy plot, it also shines light on some scary topics when it comes to who you think you know.

The show begins with Joe Goldberg, played by Penn Badgley, spotting this girl walk into his job to whom he was immediately attracted to. He and this girl, Beck, have a small, nice conversation and you can see a clear spark between them. However, it all goes downhill from there.

Joe begins to stalk Beck. He follows her to her apartment and peers through her window constantly. He follows her to parties and to friends' houses. He begins to learn who she is, without really knowing her. He wedges his way into Beck's life by manipulating her and she has no idea. She is under the impression that he is some guy she met at a bookstore and conveniently ran into several other times.

Without spoiling the entire plot of the show, Joe basically shows obsessive and sociopathic tendencies and is a master manipulator. He does horrible things and gets away with it, all while keeping Beck by his side. He lies about who he is constantly and it does not end well for people who try to get in the way of him and Beck. She would never know about the crazy things he does behind her back because he created a seamless lie every single time.

This is a real issue that affects women everywhere. It makes you really think about who you choose to surround yourself with and what you choose to believe. It also shines a light on why women today are so afraid of men in general, and this show only confirms why that fear is extremely valid. You think you know someone — until you don't.