I Am A New Me Because Of A New Relationship

With you, I don't have to worry about reverting to the "old me."

50
Rosie Ann

It wasn't uncommon for the "old me" to wonder just how much the guy I was dating was into me. I used to wonder- that obnoxious type of wondering where you bite the tip of your tongue, jiggle your leg up and down nervously, project your feelings onto everything you do and everyone you meet just to see if maybe, just maybe, you could come across a new point that you hadn't scrutinized before.

It wasn't uncommon for the "old me" to wonder just how long the guy I was dating and I would last. I experienced anxiety about our relationship that would slowly gnaw away at my self-confidence, causing me to change deeply-loved and cherished aspects of myself so that maybe, just maybe, our relationship would stretch for another year, another month, another day.

It wasn't uncommon for the "old me" to get held at knife point by anxiety, by depression- all products of unhealthy habits formed in unhealthy relationships.

Now, with you, it's not uncommon for me to just go with the flow.

Now, with you, it's not uncommon for me to walk blindly into the future- and actually be okay with it.

Now, with you, it's not uncommon for me to face the occasional flare up of anxiety with bold confidence, a tipped back head that's laughing, and a spark in my eye.

With you, even though I don't know where we'll end up, I feel comfortable. I feel confident with you. I don't feel like I have to worry about where we stand, nor do I worry about you bailing on pre-made plans because I simply don't have to worry about you.

It's different with you. It's easy and it's normal and it's comfortable. You're like sunshine- I don't have to always see you to know your promise of bright light and warmth will grace me once again.

You see, with you, I don't have to worry about reverting to the "old me" because now, I am new. You and I are new, and for once in my life, I like the newness.