Applying For Internships, As Told By 'New Girl'

Many college students are applying to summer internships and getting their foot in the professional world. We all know what it feels like to apply for a job. Each student knows the struggles that come along with applying for internships. The hardest part is applying for an internship that wants experience in the field, and you are thinking to yourself, "What? This is the experience I need!" The characters of "New Girl" perfectly express the process of applying to internships.

1. "Must be ___ major to apply."

I personally think that your major should have something to do with the field you may want to go into. However, it sucks that some students can't even apply to certain internships even though you may be qualified besides that one criterion.

2. "Must be a rising senior."

Are you serious? That is not fair! Those who aren't rising seniors still need internships. Yeah, I get that the company may want to hire the internship after the summer for a full-time position, but why not a sophomore or junior?

3. "Include your resume."

https://gfycat.com/gifs/search/dwj

Yeah, creating a resume can be difficult and overwhelming. What do I add to experience if this my first time applying to internships? Do I need a simple or fancy resume? Does it need to be on that thick shiny paper or is normal paper fine? Do companies actually read my resume when I submit it or email it?

4. Price of summer internship

https://giphy.com/gifs/new-girl-zooey-deschanel-nB6lKZcLMPsHu

Is the internship worth not goofing around all summer with your best friends and staying up late? Will it be too overwhelming? Will I actually gain experience or will it just stress me out?

5. "Unpaid"

https://gph.is/ZZESyq

Uhhhhh, no. I will not accept an internship that does not pay me. You shouldn't either! It is a joke and absolutely not worth the job!

6. *No Response*

Getting nothing back from a company you applied to is the worst. It is actually worse than getting that rejection email. You put all this energy into researching and applying to the internship for the company to not reply. It is rude and makes life feel crappy.

7. "We'd like to set up a time for an interview."

It worked! Your hard work paid off and you got the interview. Now the process isn't quite over but it is looking a lot better.

Now it is time for the interview. The interview can be a scary phase but you got this! The hard work is over now. An interview is basically a professional first date! Some are bad, some are great, and the others are in between. If the company does not choose you as their next summer intern, the cycle starts over again with applying. It may seem endless, but you got this!