From Toxic Masculinity To The Strength Of Men, Gillette Sheds a New Light On The Power Of Military Families
Military

Gillette faced scrutiny in January following their release of a commercial relating to toxic masculinity and in their new commercial released last week, they show the strength of men in the military and the challenges they face every day.

156
https://unsplash.com/photos/Um9WPLvWV_M

Gillette's new commercial focuses on the challenges that veterans face when they return from service and transition back into society. It highlights struggles that many people do not think about and shows a different perspective on how different their lives may be. The commercial featured the servicemen's family life, as well as obstacles such as retirement and entering the private sector.

The company paired up with Operation Homefront, a charity that supports military families financially and mentally, and donated $2.5 million worth of products to the families across the nation. Gillette is also trying to spread awareness about the real challenges that military families face daily through social media. They are spreading stories relating to physical and mental struggles, and how it is possible to go through life with these challenges.

The video begins with a veteran waking up early, applying deodorant, and showing a side by side of his past life through a morning in service, and his present life, eating breakfast with his child. It then follows the man running through his neighborhood, as compared to carrying a tree through the woods. He is shown through various instances with his children, and missing them while he is away by looking at old photos and thinking about old memories. This video truly highlights the physical and mental struggles that military families face in their everyday lives

At the beginning of the year, Gillette released a commercial featuring the controversy surrounding toxic masculinity. It faced a lot of backlashes, and I believe that they released this commercial to reinstate society's opinion of their brand. The commercial highlighted real-world issues such as bullying, sexual harassment, and the #metoo movement. The commercial questions, is this the best a man can get? Gillette pushes that men can be better than what they are being accused of across the world. The commercial was trying to highlight the "boys will be boys" mentality and show that they are more than that.

Although neither of my parents was in the military, my uncles and grandpa were in the military for years and it definitely influenced our family dynamic. Christmas', birthdays', and summers were not the same when they were away. Besides the physical missing of them, there is also the worry of what they are doing and if they are safe. I have big respect for families that face these challenges every day and still manage to have a positive outlook on life.

I am a volunteer in the emergency room at the veterans' hospital, and I can definitely say that the love that families have for each other definitely comes out when they are faced with these daily struggles. Although it is a difficult thing to face, it brings families closer for the better and makes them more appreciative of each other. I did not completely agree with the logic behind the toxic masculinity commercial, but I really appreciate what Gillette did to show another side of men in the military. This commercial shows a new side of the strength that military families, as well as the veterans themselves, have and what a difference they truly make to this country.