Never Underestimate The Power Of Inclusion

You never know what a simple invitation to belong can do for someone.

25
Claire Fox

I appreciate being included every time. Doesn't matter if it is something I even want to do, if you invite me to pick up rocks I would probably be so excited. It probably has something to do with the theme of feeling excluded that has characterized my life.

Even if someone has not often felt excluded, everyone has at least one situation where they wish someone had simply reached out and invited them into the group, the activity, the place to belong.

We truly only know a piece of the picture when it comes to others' lives. They can choose to share the struggles that are happening, but they can also choose to keep them hidden. I believe that vulnerability is one of our greatest strengths, and aim to make it a part of my day to day life in many ways, but even I have the tendency to hide in fear and shame. When unseen things are causing pain the worst thing is to feel alone.

It is up to us to invite others into our pain. To share what is going on behind the scenes. But when we don't know all we can do is be kind. And one of the easiest ways to show kindness to people is to include them. It is easy to say something nice, but it is another thing altogether to actively be kind and inclusion is one of many ways to do this.

If you are a part of a close friend group, look for people who maybe don't have that and invite them into yours. When you're planning an event invite the person you just sorta know who you think won't come. You never know who might end up being a close friend and you won't have a chance to know if you never take a chance on including them. When you are tempted to just do something on your own see if someone wants to join you. This can be a new person or someone you already have an established friendship with. You never know what that friend could be going through that they haven't had the chance to share with you that driving to the grocery store would provide the perfect opportunity.

We were made for relationship. We were not meant to live life alone, cut off from other people. No matter how introverted you are you need community. I know because I am highly introverted and still can't do life alone. Look around, pay attention to the people right around you. You could be the friend they desperately need.