Tell Someone About Suicidal Thoughts

It Is Okay Not To Be Okay, But It Is Not Okay To Keep It To Yourself

Don't suffer in silence.

115
https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-and-white-photo-of-holding-hands-735978/

We lose an average of 123 people to suicide each year in America. The conversation surrounding suicide was active this summer when we lost Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain. People were shocked by their passing, and many couldn't understand that even those who seem to have it all still suffer.

There are thousands of people who suffer from depression and thoughts of suicide. However, rarely do we know who they are. Although our society has worked hard to diminish the stigma around suicide and mental illness, many of those who are suffering still have trouble communicating. Reasons vary from not thinking there is someone to talk with to fearing judgment.

But I want to make it clear to anyone who is suffering; please don't keep your feelings to yourself.

It is hard for me to say such a thing, as I don't suffer from depression or thoughts of suicide. However, from the outside, I can tell you that the world is full of accepting people willing to help. Yes, there are still judgemental people out there, but they are outnumbered.

There is always someone to talk to. I don't care how lonely you feel, there are seven billion people on this planet, and you have the means to connect with any number of them at your fingertips. Beyond that, we have websites and the suicide hotline with people who are trained to help those in crisis.

I can't begin to imagine what it must take for a person to decide to end their life, but it would be wrong of me to not send this reminder to anyone who may need it. It's perfectly fine to not be ok, but you have to tell someone. Your life is just as precious as the next person's. Whatever mountain you're up against may be hard to climb, but what if you get over it? What if there's hope?

Reach out to someone, to anyone, for help. Don't suffer in silence.