An Open Letter To My Old "Friend"

An Open Letter To My Old "Friend"

Thank you for all the lessons you taught me on how not to treat a friend.

11
An Open Letter To My Old "Friend"
Word Press

Dear "Friend,"

Well it's been quite some time since I have seen or heard from you and that used to kill me, but now I can finally say that I'm okay with it. It used to make me upset, sad and angry that the one who I shared everything with for years, the one who I could turn to for anything became the person that I trust the least all in a matter of months; I used to hold it against you that it is so hard for me to trust people anymore but now I want to thank you.

First off, I want to thank you for the friendship that we HAD. There were very many times when you did show me how fun life could be and honestly, that's about all I can say thank you for as far as that goes because unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good in this case.

Secondly, I would like to thank you for teaching me to trust my instincts. I could tell right away when things started to crumble; I began to sense you lying to me, sneaking around behind my back and lying to those around you and I denied it for months. You even got mad at me for not believing your lies and once I finally able to prove all my suspicions to be true, I learned that what I was sensing was correct, and that I was right in beginning to hold back from telling you things and trusting what you say. Never again will I allow someone in my life to take advantage of me like you did and start a friendship that's foundation is built on lies.

Next I would like to thank you for being the one to walk away and remove the unneeded toxicity from my life. It wasn't easy to say goodbye to you and to not hear from you for months after spending almost every single day together; but you made it look so easy to drop everything and act like it never happened, giving me no explanation as to what I did or where I went wrong. There were many nights where I would just sit and think "what did I do to make her feel this way towards me?" but I finally realized that it wasn't anything that I did, it was you. You got so caught up in your own lies that you couldn't find any other way out than to push away the one person who cared most about you. I thought you leaving our friendship was one of the hardest things I would ever go through but I see now it very well may have been the best because I can finally see what I have been missing out on. You leaving gave me so many things back that I gave up to make you happy-now it's my turn to be happy.

Lastly I will thank you for entirely disregarding my existence for the last few months because it made it a lot easier to see you in public and not want to go and talk to you and catch up. I used to want to text you, to call, anything just to see how you were doing but you made it very clear that you did not feel the same so I finally told myself, "why waste your time?" You taught me that a friendship is a two-way street and both parties need to meet in the middle in order for it to work; never again will I put my all into a relationship or friendship only to receive a morsel of effort in return; I will never waste my time on a "friendship" like that again.

So over years of laughs and tears together to months of tears and questioning my actions, I can finally say that I am over it. We did have some fun times that I will never forget and I will never forget the version of you who was my best friend, but I can also say I have no interest in trying again. I believe you were sent on my path to teach me these lessons and despite how painful they might have been, I am a stronger person and a truer, better friend because of it. And though I went through a lot to be able to say this, I forgive you. Not because I wanted to but because I know there is no reason in staying mad at someone who isn't a part of my life anymore.

Sincerely,

You Know Who.