I'm 18 Years Old And I've Never Been In A Long-Term Relationship, But True Love Is Worth The Wait

I'm not going to settle.

78

All throughout high school, girls obsess over dating.

They want the drama, they want someone to accompany them to dances and proms, they want to date the cutest boys and have that high school sweetheart they tell their kids about.

I was honestly never really the type of girl who wanted all of the above. I wanted real feelings, real dates, real love, and there was nobody who I went on dates with who did that for me.

Who says you have to find the love of your life before you get out of your teenage years?

Some teenagers meet the love of their life prior to getting out of high school, some meet them as a kid and later reconnect with one another, and some don't meet them until they're older.

I feel like true love is worth the wait. I know my worth, and I won't try to make someone love me, nor will I force myself to love someone else just because I am getting older. I know someday Prince Charming will come along, but until then, I'm not rushing anything.

I have been in more than one relationship and I've gone on dates with more than one guy, but I couldn't see potential with any of them, and that's OK.

Life is about living and learning.

If a date isn't the best, you don't have to go back out. If the boyfriend is toxic, break up with him.

I was in a relationship with one guy for several months, but I was more focused on everything except what mattered most and that only hurt both of us in the end.

I know proper communication and trust is such a huge part of making a relationship work, but communicating when there was a disagreement wasn't an option. It was just "I'm going to ghost you until I feel like talking to you again," which is never OK.

I went out on dates throughout high school, and some guys got one date and others got more than one. It depended on how I was vibing with them.

Sometimes, it takes girls a while to realize their value.

You could be in a relationship for multiple years and break up for you to realize your value or you can be like me and know your value prior to entering a relationship.

I understand I have a whole life ahead of me to meet someone. I know I will break someone's heart, just as someone will break mine.

I know loving isn't easy, and it isn't handed out. I know relationships require work, and I know love is going to be a feeling I never experienced before when it is with the right person.

TBH, the single life is good at the moment. I can move around cities, I can hang out with whoever, I can fly home for a few weeks, and I'm not committed to anyone.

I am not actively looking for a relationship, but if a good guy comes along I won't say no.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.