'American Murder: The Family Next Door' Proves You Can't Trust Social Media

Netflix's 'American Murder: The Family Next Door' Is My Worst Nightmare And Proves You Can't Trust Social Media

I honestly want to throw up.

6300

What you see on social media is never what it seems and the Watts family murders are proof that social media lies. I've been encapsulated with the Wattsmurder since the Crime Junkie podcast episode. I mean it's just gut-wrenchingly awful and disgusting and terrifying.

Since October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, it's fitting that the new Netflix documentary, "American Murder: The Family Next Door," is trending. As a true crime nut, I was so ready for the one and a half-hour of the chilling police, family, and social media footage that shows the behind the scenes action of the Watts murders.

From the outside, the Watts family looked like they had it all. No one knew that Christopher Watts, husband and father, would soon murder his unsuspecting pregnant wife Shannan and their two young daughters, 4-years-old Bella and 3-year-old Celeste.

Shannan kept her appearances on Facebook and was always seen smiling, loving her kids, and talking about her happy marriage and successful career. The family traveled and laughed together, if I saw them on social media, I would assume that they had everything, but I guess you never really know. In reality, their marriage was falling apart and as the couple drifted apart, Chris began an affair with another woman who believed he was separated. According to text messages between Shannan and her friend, Shannan sensed the tension, aggression, and suspicious behavior; however, she was willing to fight for her marriage and find the spark again. She would have never believed that the loving father of her kids would hurt their family.

Chris, on the other hand, found a chance to "escape" and his inhumane, vicious crime landed him in a maximum-security prison.

And, I will never forget that you never really know who you're dating. I guess I have to go and interrogate my boyfriend now.