14 Streamable Shows and Movies You Need to Watch

As if you didn't spend enough time on Netflix and other streaming services already, here's some more content to support your habit.

87

If you're like me, any spare time you've had this summer has been spent streaming your favorite shows. Here are some of my favorites from past and present.

1. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

A scene from Moonrise Kingdom.

To start off the list, we'll begin with an instant classic from famed director Wes Anderson. Moonrise Kingdom is a kitschy film set in 1965 New England. The plot centers on the love story of two twelve-year-old romantics, who make a pact and run away. Meanwhile, their quaint town is turned upside down in the quest to find them. Quirky, charming, and hilarious, Moonrise Kingdom is able to craft a unique and nostalgic perspective of childhood in the 1960s.

Find it on Netflix.

2. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (2017)

Normally, I'm not a huge fan of Adam Sandler. However, put into the serious context of The Meyerowitz Stories, Sandler puts out a wonderfully strong performance. This film follows the dysfunctional Meyerowitz family and their never-ending familial strife. The resonance of this film comes from how relatable it is -- they could be the family next door to you. This film has no shortage of laughs, though not the slapstick comedy you expect out of Sandler.

Find it on Netflix.

3. Justified (2010-15)

As a Kentucky girl, this show hits home for me. Gun-slinging, cowboy hat wearing U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens is sent back to his home district of Eastern Kentucky and finds himself in his home town of Harlan. Raylan finds himself tied up in old feuds, new flames, and juggling his relationship with his ex-wife, all while trying his best to enforce the law.

Find it on Amazon Video.

4. The Crown (2016-)

Anglophiles, gather round. The Crown is an immersive Netflix series that chronicles the reign of Queen Elizabeth. As with all television, it is slightly dramatized. However, this show does an impeccable job of giving a glimpse into the ins and outs of the royal family, and you'll learn something you probably didn't hear about in history class.

Find it on Netflix.

5. The Handmaid's Tale (2017-)

I'll admit it: this show got me hooked. The Handmaid's Tale is based on the novel by Margaret Atwood (which I also recommend.) It takes place in a dystopian world. Their society is based around traditional values and patriarchal structure. The social classes are heavily stratified, with the lowest class that is still integrated into the society being the Handmaids. This series follows a handmaid named Offred.

Find it on Hulu.

6. Jane the Virgin (2014-)

"I feel like it a really great show that's similar to a telenovella. Really it's like a telenovella within a telenovella. I think that people should watch it on Netflix because it's relatable and really funny"
— My twelve-year-old sister

7. Narcos (2015-)

Narcos is another dramatization of history, similar in format to The Crown. However, this series follows the reign of Pablo Escobar's drug empire in the 1980s. Narcos is gritty, fast-paced, and gut-wrenching, all with a story that will wrap you around its little finger.

Find it on Netflix.

8. Queer Eye (2018-)

With a mesmerizing presence that has taken the world by storm, once you start watching the Fab Five, you won't be able to stop. This show is like HGTV on crack. The Fab Five – Antoni, Bobby, Tan, Jonathan, and Karamo – take on a variety of people and turn all aspects of their lives around.

Find it on Netflix.

9. The Americans (2013-)

The Americans is a gripping spy drama. The show follows two KGB agents in the era of Ronald Reagan. In order to fit in and complete their mission, they live under the guise of being a married couple in Washington, D.C.

Find it on Amazon Video.

10. Twin Peaks (1990-)

Twin Peaks is a cult classic, first premiering in 1990, then taking a long hiatus until 2017. This show chronicles the investigation of a murder in a small town in the Pacific Northwest. Rife with mystery and many beguiling elements, it's no wonder that this show became a cult classic.

Find it on Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video.

11. Six Feet Under (2001-05)

If you love morbid shows, this one is for you. This show follows the Fisher family, who owns their own funeral home. Fittingly, each show begins with a new corpse. In spite of being morbid, this show is always fresh and funny.

Find it on Netflix.

12. Homeland (2011-)

Claire Danes' standout performance as CIA operative, Carrie Mathison, made this show a hit. The premise of this show surrounds Mathison's concerns that a POW marine was turned spy and terrorist agent for Al Qaeda.

Find it on Netflix.

13. House of Cards (2013-17)

Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright star as an enigmatic congressman and his ladder-climbing wife in this Netflix series. Soon, you'll find out that both will do whatever it takes to achieve their goals, even if it turns them against each other. This political drama is full of twists and turns that keep the viewer on their toes.

Find it on Netflix.

14. Bojack Horseman (2014-)

I know what you're thinking. A cartoon? But this isn't just any cartoon. Bojack Horseman follows Bojack's desperate and often hilarious attempts to rejuvenate his fame. This show truly chronicles the strange obsession with celebrities that our culture has, as well as the damage that the Hollywood machine can cause.

Find it on Netflix.

Happy streaming!