Nine Shows On Netflix That Make You Want To Major In Pre-Med

Somehow having a half-sister die in a tragic plane crash only makes medicine more desirable.

725
NBC News

Netflix has basically ruined my life in two ways.

1. I never ever want to leave the unending comfort of my bed because Netflix is wonderful and when I'm not watching it, all I can do is think about my shows.

2. I watch shows of people doing really interesting things and having cool jobs that make me regret every choice I have ever made. Mainly my major. No one makes shows about people with my future career having drama and romance and mystery and fun. Nope. You know who does get shows? Doctors. The moment I open my Netflix and see the Grey's Anatomy icon staring at me, I start getting sad that I will never have a steamy McDreamy, or get to hold a heart, because alas, I am not pre-med. So here is the list of shows to avoid, or else you will consider changing to pre-med (until you remember you hate blood/needles/dead people).

1. Grey's Anatomy

See? If they don't know what they're doing, I could totally be a doctor, too.

Basically the best drama ever, Grey's Anatomy follows Meredith Grey and her fellow interns as they figure out how to become some of the best surgeons in the world. Somehow this hospital and group of friends face way more tragedy than anyone thought humanly possible. But for some reason their lives are totally enviable and have you convinced being a surgeon is the only job worth doing.

2. House

It's like the greatest mystery game EVER, and he gets paid to do it. Not fair.

Dr. Gregory House is the snarkiest, jerkiest narcissist on television - and we love him for it. This show rocks because it's more about the (often made-up) medicine than it is about character drama. Plus patients die frequently enough that the show doesn't seem rigged. He solves high stakes puzzles which makes his job even cooler.

4. Scrubs

Okay I'm pretty sure working in a hospital isn't actually this fun, but do any of us really know?

Another show about an intern getting used to the hospital and surgical environment, but this one is way more fun. It's literally just goofing around with your besties while wearing - you guessed it - scrubs. Like college 2.0 but with a job where you make money, and who doesn't like that?

5. Private Practice

And here we see Addison sum up all of our feelings that we are convinced can only be fulfilled if we are doctors.

A spin-off series from Grey's Anatomy following yet another strong female character. And she gets to make her own rules, rather than following the stress of the hospital system. So you mean, like, we can have the fun and the drama and the romance AND get to set our own schedules? Yes, I would like one medical degree, please.

7. Royal Pains

I can totally go diagnose rich people with a virus and tell them they need rest and fluids. And live in the Hamptons. Totally.

Seriously, getting to be an on-call doctor in the Hamptons, who wouldn't want to do that? People can't get sick that often there, they all drink pure water. But somehow Hank Lawson always finds someone to help in between his USA-typical escapades.

9. iZombie

Eating brains and solving murders? Um, you mean the dream?

She got her medical degree, was about to get married, and then was turned into a zombie. So Liv spends her days as a medical examiner, eating the brains of her murder victims to find out who killed them - and having a hot and steamy romance with very, very hot guys (and not all of them are zombies). I'm totally down for a double major in medicine and being a zombie.

So if you want to hate choices you made when you were in high school about the rest of your life, maybe you should stay away from these shows. But if you want to live vicariously through fictional doctors, give them a shot. And if you already have given them a shot, you know exactly the pain my heart is going through (and it's a pain Christina Yang can't fix).