Netflix Cancelled “Patriot Act”: How Late Night Politics Kept Us Informed When Trump Didn’t
News

The show's significance primarily came from the fact that it was an immense source of truth for the American public, and for the world.

39

On August 18th, Hasan Minhaj announced that his show "Patriot Act" had come to an end. After two years and six seasons, Netflix cancelled the show with informative, satirical, political episodes. Fans are asking Netflix to explain the decision. Was it ratings? Was it the pandemic? Was it because Hasan pointed out in an episode that Netflix doesn't pay income tax?

But before these answers come, let's appreciate what the show represented, especially in an era when it was needed most. The show's host is none other than Hasan Minhaj, a Muslim Indian-American who was formerly on The Daily Show. His other most notable work is also by Netflix, his "Homecoming King" special. Hasan represented Asian Americans thriving in an industry in which they were almost never seen. As an Asian-American myself, this was inspiring. And that's exactly what he did with the show, inspired future generations to speak up, to go beyond the box society gave them, and to succeed because it is possible to do so. Hasan often called out the Indian, or Desi, community which he came from. His episode on Indian elections was met with much criticism by his parents' generation, which he acknowledged in the opening skit.

The show's significance primarily came from the fact that it was an immense source of truth for the American public, and for the world. His twenty minute episodes were packed with figures, statistics, and facts -- all of which we lack in Trump's America. Hasan gave us the fact-based reality we all missed in those twenty minutes. With all that information and evidence, we felt like we could right the wrongs done by this administration.

The show was also made available on YouTube, so that viewers who didn't have Netflix or didn't have the show on their country's Netflix could still watch. This meant that international viewers around the world could stay educated on America, and other global powers. This kind of transparent accessibility highlights Hasan's commitment to the truth and its power. He wanted to get the word out to the people. He wanted to empower them.

In an era when news channels are more opinion than fact, when the government intervenes in our CDC reporting during a pandemic, when our president attacks truth with "fake news", late night political satire is becoming less satirical and more newsworthy. "Patriot Act" was special, but it wasn't the only one. "Last Week Tonight" with John Oliver is another show that shifted to a more in-depth, informative, fact-packed format. These shows are our source of truth, and are the vehicles spreading truth. We must protect them.

The answers as to why Netflix cancelled a show we needed the most now, will come later. In the meantime, Hasan's work is not over and he, alongside other political comedians, will lead us back to transparency. Let us protect our artists -- our voices who educated the masses and inspire us to keep fighting, to keep learning.