Whether the 2018 Midterms election results in a Red Wave or a Blue Wave is up to millions of Americans who decide to get out and vote. However, I am willing to argue that the results of this election will have far more impact than the number of seats in Congress allocated to Democrats and Republicans.

Since the election of Donald Trump, the world of politics seems to have blown up. The establishments of Republicans and Democrats are being threatened by far right and far left groups, while Americans of all backgrounds are joining the political arena like never before. Whether it be the controversial President, the threat of environmental disaster, exploding gun violence, or any of the other major developments in the past few years that has brought politics back to the center of American life, there is no denying that any sense of public peace has been replaced with much unrest.

For months now it has seemed as if the answer to many of these growing concerns has been the Midterms. People have been told time and time again that they can make the changes they are begging for by doing one thing: voting.

Both sides of the aisle have urged their members to voice their opinions through their ballots. Two years ago, in a reaction to boos about Trump, Obama swiftly told a crowd, "Don't boo. Vote." And just recently, during his rally Trump blamed any prospects of him being impeached on those who might not go to vote. It's evident that both men, regardless of party, recognize that the individual votes of Americans are what they need.

So, it is clear that both people and politicians know the power of voting. What will be, will be. The more people that vote, the more comfortable I will be with the results because they will presumably be what the American people want.

However, what I am worried about is the prospect of millions of Americans, especially those who are young, becoming disenchanted by these Midterms. There is a lot riding on this election. Immigration rights. Gun control. Climate change. And there are a lot of amazing candidates and a heck of a lot of mobilized voters.

However, I am worried that if the results of this election seem to follow the status quo, the mobilized Americans will lose their passion, determination, and drive to keep striving for change. We cannot forget our purpose if we are to fail at first. One election cannot determine our actions for years to come. I still believe this is true even if the Midterms go well. This election is the start of change. Not the end of the long fight towards change.

I know that this thought may seem pessimistic, but it is necessary to prepare for what could happen. If you want to avoid this, my advice would be to do two things. Never. Stop. Voting. And never stop using your voice to stand up for what you believe in every other day of the year.