7 Things You Need To Remember Going Into Your Freshmen Year

Tips and tricks for all incoming Freshmen!

212
YouTube

It is hard to believe how fast my freshmen and sophomore years of college flew by, and i’m now going to be a junior. I thought high school flashed before my eyes, but before I know it my college experience will be over and these four years spent at West Chester will become nothing but a memory. Going into freshmen year, I learned the hard way that college is scary. For my first time in my whole life, I became my own boss. I could schedule my classes at the times I wanted, I could eat junk food as much for every meal, and could go throughout my day without my parents questioning what I was doing, who I was with, or what I had planned for the weekend. It was great! But soon enough, I began to realize that the new taste of sweet freedom comes with great responsibility.

1. Get involved.

Whether you’ve decided to go far or local, big or small, every school has something to offer. Going into freshman year, I didn’t consider joining a club or organization on campus. I was very outgoing in high school so I thought, “who needs to be apart of something when I can just magically meet people and create friendships?”. Well, I guessed wrong. Joining a sorority at West Chester truly opened my eyes to endless opportunities and provided me with a friend group of a lifetime. So seriously, whatever you do, try to get involved and be apart of something at your school, you won’t regret it!

2. Work hard.

Like every other incoming freshman, I’m sure the partying aspect of college attracts your attention. However, taking advantage of the party scene and getting in over your head can (and will) affect your performance academically. While it is great to let loose every now and then and have fun on the weekends, keep in mind why you are in college! You are there to get a degree, not party your face off every weekend. Make decisions wisely and make sure your priorities stay straight!

3. Don’t overpack.

If there is one word of advice I could give to incoming freshman a week or two before moving into their college dorm, this would be it. As much as you feel you will need your entire wardrobe, prom dress, or the shirt you bought in three years ago that still has the tag on it, you won’t. As the semester goes on, you will start to add more junk into your dorm than you had to begin with. So, do yourself a favor and don’t immediately make a mess out of your room.

4. Be open to new things.

Shortly after becoming acclimated and comfortable at your school, you’ll notice that there is a greater variety of opportunities, activities, and classes than what you had in high school. Even if you took Spanish all four years of high school, take another language like French or Italian. Maybe sign up for a Zumba class at the gym, or explore the campus and spot out the best hang out locations. Whatever it is, embrace where you are. College is a time to step out of your comfort zone and try new things, don’t be afraid.

5. Adapt to others.

Freshmen year of college, you will either have a really good experience with your roommate, or things may not go as planned. My sophomore year of college, I was lucky enough to have a roommate who is now one of my best friends. Always remember to respect each others belongings, be respectful, and, even if you end up with someone who is a bit complicated to live with, try to make the best of your situation. It’s not the end of the world.

6. Your dream will change, and that's okay.

Believe it or not, your lifelong dream of becoming a doctor may not be so clear after taking a few classes and realizing it isn’t the job for you. I am going to be a junior, and have changed my major three times already. It’s okay to change your mind. The greatest thing about college is that you learn a whole lot about yourself, and your vision changes. It take trial and error to really find your passion.

7. TRY to maintain a healthy diet.

This is a whole lot easier to do when your mom is making you home cooked meals every night. Now that you don’t have a personal chef feeding you every meal, you have to be conscious of the food you are eating at college. Although the dining hall doesn’t have the best options, try to choose foods on the healthier side, because before you know it, you’ll be five more pounds than you were before you moved into college. And the best part, you only gain weight, you never lose. So be careful!

In my first year, I learned all about myself, my interests, and my true passions. I also learned more about responsibility, family, and the true value in friendships. Like they all say, college is supposed to be the best four years of your life. Make the most of your time and explore yourself.