Why We All Need To Be "Too Nice."

It's raining, you're late, and your hair is ruined. You aren't having a good day, but then someone stops to compliment your outfit or pay for your coffee, and you find yourself cracking a little smile. Your day just got a little bit better because someone decided to remind you of the positive with their kindness. I know how much I enjoy when someone seems happy to interact with me and how special I feel when someone does something kind for me that they really had no reason to.That is why I'm calling bs on "being too nice." Being "too nice" shouldn't be considered a weakness and it shouldn't be something that we are afraid to be.

Here lately people have been telling me that I'm too nice or that I need to get thicker skin and I just can't wrap my head around it. Why is it a problem for me to be so nice? Why should I have to be mean to people that I don't even know? This all got me thinking: why does society have a problem with kindness? It's something that I can't even begin to understand.

With everything that's been going on in the world lately, I've been thinking a lot more about what it means to be a nice person. I've pondered what effects the degree of one's kindness and I really can't come up with an answer.

I did the nurture/nature thing and I can't confidently say that one outweighs the other. My identical twin sister and I were raised by our Mom in the same environment, but we aren't both super nice people. Everyone knows that I'm the nicer twin. It's always been that way.

I've always been a caring and kind person, even as a kid. I will attribute some of it to being a southern woman, but I genuinely love to make people feel good and being kind is my way of doing it. So you can imagine why I have a hard time understanding why anyone would be anything other than friendly to a stranger.

With everything that's going on in our world; when it seems like some of the people who are meant to unite and govern this country are trying to separate and weaken us, we need to show that we will not be overcome by hate. Now, more than ever, is the time for everyone to start being "too nice."

Now is the time to practice more acts of kindness each week. I'm not saying you need to be all rainbows and unicorns 24/7, but do an act of kindness at least once a week. If you have children or work with children, seize every opprotunity you have to show them an act of kindness.

Now, is the time to set aside all differences. It's the time to stop sitting behind a keyboard, sending out hateful messages and sharing hurtful memes.

Now is the time to imagine life in someone else's shoes. Now is the time to start being nice to strangers and consider their needs.

Now is the time to do what God called us to do, love each other regardless of what society says about it.