With Liberty And Justice For All (Except If You Are Black)
Politics

It's 2016, dear freedom...where are you?

45
Flickr

Never really expected to be asking this question in 2016, but I am desperate to know the answer. As a young black woman, I was always made aware of the challenges I would face growing up. But never once did I see myself fighting similar battles as my grandparents and their parents. To say history has repeated itself is truly an understatement. I am unsure if I can maintain the level of faith and strength as my ancestors, however. I fear for my life; the lives of those close to me, and yours.

As the world watched the senseless and brutal murders of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, we quickly rushed to social media to express our frustration and sadness. Sterling and Castile are the latest to join a hefty list of unarmed black people who have lost their lives at the hands of law enforcement. Police brutality is a serious issue that is becoming all too familiar here in the United States. Ironically, it's a country where many have risked their lives traveling desperate to live the "American Dream" and experience "freedom".

But my question is this: where is this freedom? And how can I get a dose of it?

Tension across the globe is at an all-time high. We want answers and we want a change in a system that seemed to have failed African-Americans for centuries. Right now. How many more videos and incidents need to occur and be shared in order for one to comprehend the fact that racism and privilege is alive and never left? What happens when prayer is no longer enough? When the faith of some of the strongest is slowly disintegrating?

I am in no way condoning the acts of violence that have been taking place against law enforcement. And neither should others; violence can not be both problem and solution. When we use violence as a tactic to solve issues, we become no better than the other party — and the purpose and intentions of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) campaign-slash-movement go in vain. But again I ask you: what do we in times like these? The response to these tragedies are outcries for help. Video footage and witness accounts in many cases similar to Castile and Sterling contradict the "I feared for my life" defense. Yet somehow we still continue to watch officers get suspended with pay; sentences that are either too light or non-existent. And after awhile you begin to question if these murders are premeditated. People are tired of protesting for a right they feel they shouldn't have to in 2016. People have reached a breaking point and no longer have faith in our judicial system, a system that has failed to protect and serve "all lives". If all lives matter, when will we begin to act as such? The entire world showed their support and paid their respects to the victims of the Orlando shooting. Regardless of personal beliefs or feelings towards the LBGTQ community, it seems many were able to agree what happened that night was wrong. It seems many were able to agree that no one deserves to lose their life, or should have to live in fear of owning and living their truth. I think you have an idea where I am going next with this.

Why is it hard for to take that same reasoning and logic, and apply it towards police brutality? What people fail to understand and realize is BLM was not created with the intentions of starting a "race war." Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opal Tometi, the founders of #BlackLivesMatter, wanted to call attention to racial profiling, police brutality and overall inequality in the "justice" system against black people. This, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of advocacy done the right way. BLM was not created to place black lives on a higher pedestal than other lives. What is wrong with wanting the same media coverage, the same outrage, the same support and respect other tragedies receive? If you can sit and justify the actions of these officers you do not believe that all lives matter. And, you friend may just be the reason why we will never end the separation and division happening currently in this country. Every news media outlet and every channel ask the same question as if it's rocket science: how to mend the trust between the community and law enforcement? It starts by holding officers accountable for their actions. It starts by more officers like Tommy Norman, speaking up and demonstrating policing the right way

Silence isn't always golden.

To label a group of people as "terrorist" and label them as "violent" making them accountable for other people's actions is the reason why we will never move forward. And, once again, the purpose and the intentions of BLM goes in vain, along with the peaceful protest that has been taking place, and videos that have gone viral goes in vain...and distracts people from the actual problem at hand. If black lives truly matter, then it's time to act as such. Everyone questions and wonders what we can do to change things around as if it's rocket science. It starts by holding each other accountable as well. I love good celebrity tea, reality TV, music, and keeping up to date with the latest trends just as much as the next person. But at this time, we need to devote the same amount of energy and time making ourselves more self-aware.

Change can not begin without education and communication — because freedom isn't this.