Why You Should Join In The Women's March On Washington

"Who run the world? Girls."

19

Feminism is not a dirty word.

Just like most things in this country, it has been distorted, picked apart and molded into something it isn't. And also like many things in our country, the handful of radicals who went too far in conveying their message of equality, were the ones people associated with the term "feminism."

In reality, the feminist movement is filled with perfectly sane women (and men!) of all races, sexual orientations, religious affiliations, and socioeconomic backgrounds, who simply understand that women's rights are human rights.

So let's take a step back. Feminists are not radical man haters. In fact, the best outline of feminism I have heard is from Chimamandra Ngozi Adichie's TedX Talk, "We Should All Be Feminists." Beyoncé featured samples of Adichie's message on her surprise album in 2013.

According to Adichie, a Feminist is a person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.

Holla.

All that being said -- come inauguration weekend, I'll be joining millions of my sisters (and brothers!) across the nation in my support of feminism at the Women's March on Washington. While the main event will be held in Washington D.C., most states are hosting their own at the same time.

All of this started when one woman made a call to action on Facebook the morning after the election. Within 24 hours -- it became a nationwide stance on solidarity, and with official partners like Planned Parenthood, a co-chair like Harry Belafonte, and a celebrity line-up that includes: Zendaya, Katy Perry, America Ferrera, Amy Schumer, and many more. This march is sure to make its mark on history.

"In the spirit of democracy and honoring the champions of human rights, dignity, and justice who have come before us, we join in diversity to show our presence in numbers too great to ignore...We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us."
-
OFFICIAL STATEMENT, National Organizers

Women have been fighting the battle for equality for over a century. One march isn't going to change everything, but it's a unified message that we're going to keep fighting until true equality is achieved. And even though it's easy for me to jump in feet first and grab my rally gear, I know many of my peers are left wondering...what difference does this really make?

Let Me Ask You This:

1. Do you believe men and women should be able to achieve the same goals (career, education, etc.) if they put in the same amount of effort, do the same amount of work, and strive for the same level of excellence?

2. Do you believe the <80% of men who currently hold elected office should be making decisions and enacting laws regarding women's healthcare, (ex. STD testing, gynecological health, access to contraceptives, prenatal) even though the repercussions of those laws do not directly affect their bodies?

3. Do you believe in order to provide a true land of opportunity, we must address the gender inequality in the workplace such as the pay gap and the current benefits for maternity leave?

Because if you do, then that's your answer. This is our fight and it's happening right now. Show up. Stand up. Let's March. One person may not do much, but together, we are showing the world that we will not rest until women have equity at all levels in society.

"There is no true peace without justice and equity for all.
HEAR OUR VOICE.
"
-OFFICIAL STATEMENT, National Organizers