NASA'S MISSION IMPOSSIBLE....??

NASA'S MISSION IMPOSSIBLE....??

NASA aims to develop the 'red planet'

23
NASA'S MISSION IMPOSSIBLE....??
Simon & Schuster

Mars is one of the eight planets in the solar system, and it is the fourth planet from the sun. Mars is known as the Red Planet because iron minerals in the Martian soil oxidize, or rust, causing the soilĀ­Ā­ and the dusty atmosphere Ā­Ā­to look red. Mars is a rocky planet and has a solid surface which has been altered by volcanoes, impacts, crustal movement, and atmospheric pressure such as dust storms. Mars has a thin atmosphere made up of mostly carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen (N2), and argon (Ar). I will now explain the four reasons for NASAā€™s exploration mission to Mars.

Goal 1: whether life ever arose on Mars

NASAā€™s Mars Exploration Program is a science driven program that seeks to understand whether Mars was, is, or can be a habitable world. On Earth, all forms of life need water to survive. It is likely, though not certain, that if life ever evolved on Mars, it did so in the presence of a long standing supply of water. As NASA seeks to determine whether life ever existed on Mars, it continues to search for evidence of life in areas where liquid water was once stable, and below the surface where it still might exist today. NASA will also look for life on Mars by searching for tell-tale markers, or bio-signatures, of current and past life. The element carbon, for instance, is a fundamental building block of life. Knowing where carbon is present, and what form, will provide significant insight about where life might have developed.

Goal 2: the climate of Mars

NASAā€™s top priority in the exploration of Mars is understanding its present climate, what its climate was like in the distant past, and the causes of climate changes over time. The current Martian climate is regulated by seasonal changes of the carbon dioxide ice caps, the movement of large amounts of dust by the atmosphere, and the exchange of water vapor between the surface and the atmosphere. A better understanding of Mars' present climatic conditions will assist NASA to better model past climatic patterns. Also, understanding how the dust storms that normally occur in the spring and summertime on Mars develop and grow will help NASA with future climatic studies.

Goal 3: the geology of Mars

Another key role of NASAā€™s mission to Mars is to understand how the interaction of wind, water, volcanism, tectonics, cratering, and other processes have played a role to form and change the Martian surface. The discovery of large areas of magnetic material on Mars by the spacecraft Mars Global Surveyor indicates that Mars once had a magnetic field similar to that of Earth. This is an important finding because magnetic fields act to shield planets from many forms of cosmic radiation, therefore the prospects of finding signs of past life is likely. Identifying rocks and minerals found on Mars that have been formed in the presence of water is of particular importance as this will determine whether life might have started on Mars.

Goal 4:. Prepare for the human exploration of Mars.

In order for humans to survive while exploring Mars, preliminary precautionary measures have to be established to ensure the safety of astronauts. Mars does not have an ozone layer as Earth does that shields us from the damaging ultraviolet rays of the sun. Therefore, robotic spacecraft are continuing to analyze the radiation environment on Mars. This will help NASA to develop effective space suits and determine the effects of this powerful energy on its astronauts. All areas of chemical activity must be considered, also access to water resources to support human explorers before long term habitation on Mars can be considered. Getting humans to Mars is the ultimate goal of NASAā€™s mission to Mars, however, doing this in a safe manner will prove difficult and challenging. Understanding the environment of Mars is crucial for equipment to operate safely and humans to to remain healthy.

Understanding how geologic, climatic, and other processes have worked to shape Mars and its environment over time, how they interact today, as well as possibilities for past, present or future lifeĶ¾ these are the goals of NASAā€™s mission to Mars.

From Your Site Articles