Going Greek Is The Most Worthwhile Experience You Can Have

"Sisterhood symbolizes all that we wish to accomplish in our lives. It represents the struggles we all face as we grow. Why we cling to it no one can explain, but in the end we are all stronger for it."

202
Jenna Powell

The Worthwhile Experience Of Going Greek!

Starting out college as a shy and timid freshman may have been the most uncomfortable thing I have ever done. It was truly like jumping out of the nest for the first time. Making new friends, adapting to new surroundings, and establishing new everyday patterns can be a hassle nine times out of ten.

Early on in the school year I met a girl who preceded to ask me if I was going to go through recruitment (what many people call “rush”). Knowing that I am not a girl who easily comes out of her shell I quickly shut down that idea. However, it soon kept creeping into my mind at random times, and for some reason I could not shake the idea of going through recruitment.

Most formal recruitment consists of four nights which lead up to the fifth day called “Bid Day”. The first night is sorority 101. Basically, that night you get broken into groups with your Pi Chi’s (sisters of chapters on your campus who become unaffiliated to help you, unbiasedly, through the week). You meet the presidents of each chapter and they basically tell you how much dues are, if they have hall/house requirements, and scholarly expectations. This night you also go on house or hall tours of each chapters’ territory, if I may. After you get somewhat of a feel for what each chapter expects you can move on to the next night.

The next night is sisterhood night. This is when you basically “speed date” with members of each chapter. You may talk to five or six girls of one chapter within a certain time frame. PSA: BRING CHAPSTICK, MINTS, AND WATER!!! You’ll thank me later! Also this night you will rank your top three chapters as your first steps to finding your chapter that suits you.

The third night, known as philanthropy night, is a time in which each chapter shares with you the designated charity that they live for, so to speak. This is more personal than sisterhood. Many girls find their chapter through this night. You will also talk to fewer girls this night so they can tell you why their philanthropy is a big deal and what it may mean to them in their own lives. However, I still recommend chap stick, water, and mints! This night, you will rank your top two chapter picks to further narrow down the list.

The last night is preference night. This is definitely the most formal and most personal. This night is very special to a lot of women. You will meet with less girls in each chapter and they will tell you why they chose THAT chapter. This night is very serious, and very close to their hearts as they open a piece of their chapter to you. Also, this night you will wear a cocktail dress, and look your absolute best! To me, this is why I ran home to my sorority, Alpha Delta Pi. Later, you will rank your top chapter and a second, or you can pick just one if you now that you will not be happy at any other. This was very nerve wracking for me, and many other girls, but trust your gut, and you have many wonderful Pi Chis there to support and guide you along the way!

Finally, we have made it to bid day!!! Bid day is literally the best day of your life, no joke!! This is the day you receive your bid from the sorority that chose you. Many girls drop before this in fear of not getting one, but I promise you that if you trust the process then you will find your home! If not for this, they drop due to dues. Yes, I understand that it is A LOT of money, but you get literally so much out of it. It is not like the stereotypes on TV. You have to keep up your grades, you get to do charity work, and a lifetime sisterhood to call home.

You may believe this sounds cliché, but I ran to my second home that day. I am so ecstatic that I ran home to my dream chapter, Alpha Delta Pi. In the short time that I have gotten to know all of the beautiful faces of the chapter, I have found friends, path guiders, therapists, and even more. It was in this chapter that I found my big diamond, who may be my literal favorite person EVER.

Every single girl, no matter their background, no matter their color, no matter their size, I love them all. Despite all of our differences, “We Live For Each other”, and I could not see it any other way. So, shout out to Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald, Elizabeth Williams Mitchell, Sophronia Woodruff Dews, Octavia Andrew Rush, Mary Evans Glass, and Ella Pierce Turner for creating this chapter that I love to call my home away from home. I mean talk about SQUAD GOALS!