My Unpopular Opinions

My Unpopular Opinions

Sometimes you just don't agree with the majority

381
My Unpopular Opinions
123rf

Over the past few months, I have noticed that I have many unpopular opinions on a variety of topics. In today's society, unpopular opinions are looked down upon. Being in the majority is considered normal or even cool. I disagree with this idea. Unusual opinions are important to embrace and be proud of. Historically speaking, unpopular opinions have changed the world. If everyone thinks the same way, how will we grow? The answer is that we won't.

Although many of my opinions are not super radical, they do at times differentiate me from others. I don't like Chipotle or most popular restaurants. I do not watch Netflix or movies very often. I think big t-shirts and sweatshirts are annoying. I think pumpkin spice and Starbucks, in general, are way overrated. I know these little opinions don't seem very life-changing, but getting in the habit of allowing those unpopular opinions to form is critical.

Although the word unpopular has such a negative connotation, all it really means is that it is not commonly liked by a majority. There is nothing inherently bad about having a minority opinion. Those opinions are valid and hold a level of importance in society. If you have unpopular opinions, I strongly encourage embracing them and sharing them.

My encouragement comes from my desire to not be basic. Being basic is another idea that has been floating around lately. When I think of being basic, I imagine a group of clones just aimlessly following the latest trends. There would be a huge deficit of uniqueness and spontaneity. "Basic" to me is something that I try to avoid every day as I seek to embrace and highlight my unpopular opinons — and you should too!