My Top 5 Favorite Books

My Top 5 Favorite Books

Five books that I've found timeless and inspiring throughout the years.

62
https://www.pexels.com/photo/books-sculpture-write-reading-34627/

I love reading just about any topic from nonfiction to romance to thriller. Even if you aren't an avid reader, these five books (and series) are guaranteed to have you turning pages all night long.

1. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson 

This the first book of Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy, which is altogether an amazing series. Taking place in early 2000s Sweden, an infamous journalist and a loner hacker uncover murders and conspiracies from within Sweden's wealthiest families and even the government. The characters are diversified and all come together to support the plot well. I have easily passed hours devouring Larsson's books in the summer, and I would easily re-read them in the future. The books also continue past the original trilogy by David Lagercrantz, an author who continued writing the series after Larsson's death in 2004. There are American and Swedish film adaptions of the books, although I haven't seen the Swedish ones, the American adaption is really well-casted in my opinion.

Other titles by Stieg Larsson: "The Girl Who Played with Fire", "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"

2. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

"Gone Girl" is a book that I could read over and over again. The premise opens on the Dunne couple, Nick and Amy, who were once in love with shared dreams in New York City. As time wears on the couple and their true colors show, eyes are on Nick as a possible murder suspect when Amy suddenly disappears. The book is fast-paced and filled with so many exciting turns you won't expect. "Gone Girl" is also written in first-person, which really adds to understanding and empathizing with the characters. If you love the book, the film adaption of "Gone Girl" is spectacular. I highly recommend both the book and the movie!

Other titles by Gillian Flynn: "Dark Places"; "Sharp Objects"

3. "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot

This book is nonfiction, and yet completely unbelievable. Skloot, as a science writer, launches an investigation into the life of Henrietta Lacks. Lacks, an underprivileged black tobacco farmer, passed away in 1951- but her cells were taken by doctors and multiplied. Her cells, taken without her consent, became the building blocks for discovering modern medical advancements. Skloot explores the Lacks family, their life, and the ethics of this medical phenomenon. Her writing is phenomenal, and the premise is raw and authentic.

Other titles by Rebecca Skloot: "The Best American Science Writing 2011"

4. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen

"Pride and Prejudice" is an older classic, but it is still relevant and enjoyable. It may take place in the Georgian era in England, but the characters and the less than perfect love story is timeless. If you enjoy period piece novels or a light, entertaining love story, Pride and Prejudice is for you. The film adaption is also highly acclaimed and stars my favorite actress: Kiera Knightly.

Other titles by Jane Austen: "Emma"; "Persuasion"

5. "1984" by George Orwell 

"1984" is dystopian classic that is ageless and remarkably written. Orwell depicts a world run by an emotionless totalitarian society, ravaged by war and strict government surveillance. Within this society, the protagonist, Winston Smith, finds Julia who shares his disdain for their dystopian way of life. This incredible novel has a jarring, poignant end, which will leave you mystified and aghast.

Other titles by George Orwell: "Animal Farm"; "Why I Write"

*A couple of these books (and movies suggested) include themes of sexual assault, violence, and mental health, therefore viewer and reader discretion is advised.