5 Of My Favorite Books That I Recommend You Read

I made this list to share with others the amazing books that I have read in my life so far.

38
Unsplash

I don't know about you, but I love reading. It is probably the thing you'll see me doing the most. Sometimes, I'm reading on my phone, or sometimes, I do have a physical copy with me.

If memory serves, I began reading summer after 8th grade, and I devoured that book in two weeks—marking it as the book that made me fall in love with worlds and characters I wished existed.

I decided to make a short list of some of my favorite books, which I hope you one day think about picking up. Although some of them are book series, they are still worth it.

1. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised, too.

I just believe that Simon is one of those characters one can easily relate to. And also one of those you fall in love with within the first couple of chapters. Also, who doesn't like a teenage, cheesy love story?

2. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Synopsis: Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen. Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here — it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

Rainbow Rowell should try to write more fantasy novels. Carry On has more than just magic—it has threatening villains, a sappy couple that started as enemies and somehow became the love of each other's lives. But most of all, this is basically a Harry Potter fanfic that doesn't disappoint.

2. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Synopsis of the first book to avoid spoilers (lol): Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:
Break into the notorious Ice Court (a military stronghold that has never been breached)
Retrieve a hostage (who could unleash magical havoc on the world)
Survive long enough to collect his reward (and spend it)

Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.

Six of Crows had me hooked since the beginning, and when Crooked Kingdom came out, I flew to buy a copy. Although it took me a while to read it, this book was packed with action from the very first page, never having a dull moment. Also, with a diverse character, Crooked Kingdom does know how to take turns nobody ever saw coming, and an amazing and satisfying conclusion.

3. Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (queen)

Synopsis of first book because you know the drill: After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for four years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilarating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her ... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

My love for Sarah started with Throne of Glass, but that love grew even much as I read Heir of Fire. In this book, we are introduced to new villains—which are some powerful foes. Our favorite characters start to go through a transformation that sets the storyline in motion for the next installments in the series. And I wish I could say more about this, but I just don't want to spoil it.

5. Paper Towns by John Green

Synopsis: Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.

After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...

Margo Roth Spiegelman became my literary love the moment I read about her from Q's perspective. She's not your typical girl-next-door. She gives that bratty chic vibe, but she's one mysterious and cult character. And while reading this book, I just enjoyed finding out who was the real Margo beneath the mask she had made for herself.

It is a short list, and I could probably add more, but these are my top five so far. These books, which range from genre to different genre, have called my attention the most because of the characters the authors have brought to life. Even if they are fantasy books, some of the characters are relatable, despite the awesome adventures they are thrown too—which is also another reason why they are in my top five.

If you decide to read any of these books, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. They are worth it.