This Is What The Beginning Of Freshman Year Is Really Like

You are your top priority.

It is easy to let yourself become overwhelmed with such a new and strange setting. Many of us find that the transition from high school to college is one of the hardest that we have experienced. Depending on who you are you struggle more socially or academically or both are equally as difficult for you.

Personally, I have had my moments in both of these cases but I find myself putting these things before my health. With so much going on in our lives it can feel like the better choice is to skip that meal or stay up later studying. But, I can tell you from experience that this will eventually take a toll on you.

I am writing this as I enter the fifth or sixth week of school (not sure how anyone keeps track, everything goes by so quickly). Recently, on many different occasions, I have chosen the easy way out of situations. When I had work that could be finished later on I would use the work as an excuse to not eat. When I needed to study it became my excuse to not sleep. Then nearing the end of this week I realized that none of these habits are healthy.

I am writing this article to tell you that you are your own top priority. Although academics are extremely important you should never let them get in the way of your physical or mental health. I encourage you to try and stay aware of your behavior as best as you can so that the actions you are taking are easy to moderate. As I become aware of myself and noticed my mistakes I have been able to learn from them and improve.

Be aware of those around you as well whether they are peers or best friends. As freshmen, we all have internal struggles we are going through and coping with the transition is not easy. If you notice a friend is developing strange sleeping patterns or eating less try and encourage that they do those things.

Don’t let for anyone to feel alone in this situation as we are all experiencing a similar feeling