To My Best Friend, My Mom

To My Best Friend, My Mom

A thank-you to the most beautiful person I know, inside and out.

4
To My Best Friend, My Mom
Sharon Bejcek

How do you tell your best friend how much they mean to you? How can I possibly put into words how much my best friend has changed my life, influenced me, helped me, and how thankful I am for her? My best friend in the entire world is my mom. She's the first person I call when I'm sad or excited or have good news. She gives me amazing advice and I finally listen. She inspires me in ways no one can imagine. She has made me into the person I am today and I thank her for that.

You have made unspeakable sacrifices for me and they did not go unnoticed. I know you gave up countless hours of sleep to help me on that last project, my next audition, or to ensure your little herbivore has a packed lunch so school could be a little easier for me. I watched as you got up every morning at 5 am most days to make sure I was woken up by you for my meets and class rather than a noisy alarm. I know you didn't let a single night go by without coming in to kiss me goodnight while I was asleep, even when my "guard dog" growled at you.

Thank you for the little things you did to make me feel like I mattered. You ensured all my cinnamon toast had sprinkles on it so it was "fairy toast." You always made me my favorite meal, Spaghetti-Os, or even my favorite desert when I was really sick or had a bad day. You never judged me even when I did dumb things and you never ever let me think I was unlovable to you. You know all my fears and you helped protect me from them. You are my hero. You ensure I never talk to that "dumb boy that made me cry." You are the only person in the entire world that even almost gets me and that's all I've ever wanted, that has meant the most to me.

Thank you for the Target runs late at night, the nail trips, forcing me to fight my battles so I could become strong, making sure I got home every day after those insanely late rehearsals. Thank you for giving me my dream at the stake of your own, I know you did that for us. Thank you for walking me to my room at 3 am because I'm scared. Thank you for making sure I always have a home, you are my home. Thank you for always answering my calls, even if it's when I'm downtown at 1 am when you're so tired you don't even remember the conversations. Thank you for teaching me right from wrong.

You are the most compassionate person I have ever met in my entire life and I have no idea where I'd be without you. You taught me to never give up, "stand tall," and to love, love unconditionally and never hate, no matter what. You taught me that everyone's going through their own battle and everyone can help each other. You taught me about "faith"; faith in God, faith in family, and faith in myself.

Mom, you are my world. I truly do not know where I'd be without you. You've given me love, hope, dreams, strength, faith, honor, compassion, and so much more. I cherish every single memory we have, especially the midnight premieres we never missed. There is not a single day that goes by when I don't think of how much I miss you and how blessed I am to have the greatest mom in the world. I could talk about you for hours and hours but now I have to call my best friend for our daily Facetime talk. I love you.