Mourning the loss of a good night's sleep

5 Stages of Mourning your sleep schedule

Sleep? I don't know her.

48
https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-person-holding-alarm-clock-1028741/

Sometimes all you can really do is peer at your dim phone screen through heavy eyelids and accept that you're in it for the long haul.

1. Denial

It's fine; it's only 1 a.m. I can read another chapter, watch a few more episodes, and still get six good hours of sleep. Besides, I've definitely gotten less sleep than this and been fine. I really only need five hours anyway.

2. Anger

Okay, but do you know what would be really great right now? If I were asleep. Like, I just think it's funny how all day I'm trying to fall asleep because I'm "sooooo tiiiiired," but now that it's 3 a.m. I've suddenly got the energy to over analyze an interaction I had 4 months and 17 days ago. I don't have time for this! Right now, I need to get my crap together and get my exhausted self to sleep.

3. Bargaining

Look, it's been a really long day. I had work, school stuff, I was even social! It would be really great if I could just get four good hours of sleep. Just four hours, which is already half the required amount, and I'll be good. So, let's just take one for the team and get to sleep, okay? That sounds fair, right? Just four hours, please?

4. Depression

This is it. This is the end. At this point, I'm either going to pass out, oversleep and completely miss work or I'll be so dead on my feet I'll be a walking disaster, completely mess up and get fired. It's fine; everything is awful and terrible, and my sleep schedule is now an actual trash fire, but it's fine.

5. Acceptance

Well, the sun's up and I got absolutely no sleep, but that's why the good lord gave us coffee and concealer.