My Sister, My Friend

My Sister, My Friend

Alex Was My Reason.

16
My Sister, My Friend

I had the opportunity to grow up surrounded by siblings, 4 sisters and 3 brothers. My youngest sister happens to be one of my best friends. All of my sisters and I have a really strong bond, but Alex and I are the closest. She’s absolutely nothing like me, but everything like me at the same time. She drives me crazy, but also calms me down when I’m upset. I’ve never met anyone like her and that is why I love her so dang much.

Alex is a mess. She’s loud, obnoxious, hilarious, disgusting, and funny. Some days all I want to do is slap her to make her shut up, other days, she is the only person that can make me laugh by just sending me a silly Snapchat of her bad hair day. She burps out loud, farts too much and if she sneezes she’ll scare the crap out of you. We’re built nothing alike. I’m really tall and really skinny, and Alex is pretty short and not-so-skinny. If you have seen Pitch Perfect and know of the character Fat Amy, you’ll enjoy my nickname for Alex – Fat Alex. It’s not insulting to her because she knows it’s just a joke between us, and she’s perfect the way that she is (NO I DON’T THINK SHE IS FAT). She’s tan year-round and I will be pale for my entire life. She has the longest, most gorgeous dirty blonde hair. I have short, dark brown hair. Her feet will likely be somewhat like mine, her shoe size is already almost catching up to mine!

She’s 13 now and a lot like I was when I was her age. People easily get to her and she can be easily upset and she stays that way. She cares about people more than they care about her. She tries hard in school, and sometimes just doesn’t get it. And she’s okay with that. She’s finding out who her true friends are, and I most definitely remember this part of my childhood. I remember being heartbroken if a girl ignored me, “why doesn’t she want to be my friend?” I remember thinking. Now, Alex is going through the same thing. She’s beginning to understand that you don’t have to have a lot of friends, as long as the friends that you do have truly care about you. Alex still gets upset some days, but she’s getting stronger; stronger and smarter every day.

We didn’t always have the easiest childhood. Alex and I spent many nights sharing a bed and crying ourselves to sleep. This is definitely a reason that we became so close. We ate dinner together, cuddled and watched movies together, and most importantly we laughed together. She depended on me and I depended on her, too. Alex was my reason. My reason to not give up, to keep pushing myself, to better myself, and to become a better version of myself. Alex counted on me, so I couldn’t fail.

So Alex, if you’re reading this article, know how much I love you. Of course I get irritated with you somedays, I may even yell at you, but girlfriend you’re my sister. I love you. I need you. I am always here for you no matter what is going on in your life. Growing up with you was a blast, even the rough patches. Don’t stress over the little stuff, it really doesn’t matter. Don’t listen to boys, they’re stupid. Put your phone down and spend some time outside. Pay attention in school and get good grades. Be a good friend, don’t put other people down. Be caring, honest, friendly, and respectful. I expect this from you. I’ve watched you grow into such an amazing young lady, and I can’t wait to watch you continue to grow. I love you Allycat, Fat Alex, Alealejandro, AlPal (or whatever I feel like calling you today).

“I remember how we'd fight
We made up and laughed all night.
Wish we were kids again
My sister, my friend"
-Reba McEntire