What I've Learned From My Roommates This Semester

And here's to another fun-filled 5 months.

146

As a freshman living in Fairview, I didn't know what to expect from having so many roommates. I was honestly terrified that none of us would get along, and while everyone has their moments, I've been so inspired by some of the women around me for so many different reasons. So, this is my way of saying 'thank you' for everything you have taught me, and I can't wait to keep learning from you.

To Madison:

Thank you for helping me learn how to always stay positive. You always get excited over some of the seemingly smallest of things, but from that, I've learned that reasons to be happy don't just come from the big moments. I live for the moments when you come into the room after class to tell me something funny that happened, because those moments, while small, bring so much light to the both of us. The night we both couldn't sleep, and we had a mini dance party or the night we watched dance videos, or all the times we just look at each other and know what the other is thinking, have shown me how to find happiness in the small moments. And just so you know, I am absolutely positive that I have the best roommate.

To Anna:

Thank you for showing me how to keep persevering, even in the darkest of moments. When I first met you, I was captivated by your personality, your bubbliness, and your almost constant smile. I can't imagine going through everything you have gone through this past semester. However, I can say that I am so thankful you are here. Being with you almost every day this past semester, I've learned how to keep going, to push myself to smile even in the hardest moments. And even though my difficulties this semester don't compare to yours, you exemplifying how to keep a smile on your face even when it's hard, has made each one of my days a little bit better. While I'll never be as smiley as you, I try every day to make someone laugh the way that you make me, because your perseverance has shown me that part of making every day brighter is by being around the people that make you laugh the most.

To Brenna:

Thank you for teaching me how to care for others unconditionally. Even in times when I know you must be stressed, you always ask how my day is. You always want to make sure that the people around you, that you care about, are okay. The times I've woken up with a sore throat, have complained about being too stressed or get a little too frustrated with someone, you are always there to ask if I need to talk, or need some sleepy time tea. I'm inspired by the way that you care so much about those around you, and I aspire to make even one person feel as cared about as you make so many others around you feel.

To Blair:

Thank you for teaching me to be brave, and for showing me what it means to always stand behind your opinions. Oh! And always fact check before you make claims. No matter how cheesy this sounds, every day you wake up and conquer the day. Despite everything you have going on, things that I can't relate to, you always keep pushing. You have this ability to not let the fear of what the day holds keep you from trying. You deal with everything that is happening, inside and outside of school, with such strength, and seeing you do this day in and day out has shown me what it means to be fearless. But, even with all that incredible strength, I envy, your ability to express your emotions, and how you let people in, has also shown me what it means to be brave. Since living with you, I have gained the courage to always voice my opinion, to be brave in showing a different side of myself to others, all things I wouldn't have been able to do if I didn't spend almost all my time with you.