My Relationship with God is None of Your Business

That's between Him and I, so butt out.

533

Religion always seems to be the hot topic of the hour. Once mentioned, it’s almost 100% guaranteed to start a facebook comment war, rife with name calling and insults and out of context verses from the bible. I sometimes find myself drawn to these arguments, because who doesn’t need a little cancerous internet drama in their lives now and then, and explain my thought and opinions from a secular point of view. Once I’m accused of being a godless atheist, I reveal that I was raised Catholic and attended church every Sunday from before I can remember until the last Sunday before I went to college. I went to youth group, went to summer camp, and received all my sacraments. I was a bona fide Catholic, but like many young adults suffered a falling out with the church upon leaving home and entering a new environment. However, it was such a large part of my life for so long that elements of my catechism remain with me.

But now, I’m a heathen who persecutes Christians in the Christian nation of America with my secular opinions, I’m an evil woman for thinking other women have the right to murder the unborn they carry, I’m bound for hell because I think gays are entitled to the same principles of marriage that straight people are, and I’m a whore who can’t keep her legs closed because I like sex and think birth control should be more accessible, even in cases where it’s used to treat diseases like Endometriosis and PCOS.

Yes, of course, not all Christians think this way, and I’ve conversed with plenty that feel contrary to such statements. You guys are alright! But there are many that assume these things and more because I do not meet their definition of ‘Christian’, and anyone outside that definition can’t be a true follower of Christ. Well, my relationship with God is none of your business. What definition you give me doesn’t matter, as there are many who talk the talk but few who actually walk the path of Christ, and while talking gets you attention, it’s walking that creates the most impact.

In a fitting passage (and I never quote scripture, like, ever) from Matthew 6:6, he writes “But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” So that’s what I do. When I’m on a long, difficult car ride, I still say a prayer. When something miraculous has happened, I thank God in my mind. When people I love are suffering difficult situations, I keep them in my thoughts and prayers. When I notice a beautiful sunrise or a chain of snow capped mountains, I thank God I get to see it.

So am I a Christian? Probably not to most. Do I care? No. Should you? No, but some of you will care anyway because it’s your mission to conform me to your Christian values, lest my soul burn in the eternities of hell. There are plenty of things I don't do or believe anymore that set me apart from practicing christians, but it would be impossible for them to know what's in my heart or on my mind. I’ll carry on being whatever I am, however it changes throughout time, and it will be none of your damn business how it goes.