My Newfound Love

I knew I'd love it; I'd heard that it was an outstanding band. I had overheard some of their classics like "Karma Police" and Creep at my friends' places. And I had skimmed their new album - "A Moon Shaped Pool".

What I had not done was listening to Kid A, Computer OK, In Rainbows and other wonderful albums. I had not started my relationship with Radiohead.

You know that feeling about something - it is considered to be a masterpiece, you know its great, but that's it. All you have for that work or piece is respect. Like acknowledging the value of the classical music, but not ever being in mood for it, I acknowledged that Radiohead was a musical force to be reckoned with; however, I was never in the specific mood for it; I thought it was too esoteric.

Then, one day, I saw one of my friends share one of her facebook memories of posting the poster of Radiohead's 2000 album - Kid A with the caption "The greatest record ever made."

It was a spontaneous decision, but I had to do it. I found a good free hour to listen to Radiohead; there was greatness to be discovered and I would mine for it. I listened to OK computer; it did not leave a great impression the first time I listened to it, maybe because I was not paying enough attention. Realizing that campus life had accustomed me to Friday night music which only aims to get your attention with its first three cords, I decided that Radiohead deserved a more careful listen.

And I I loved their music; Thom Yorke's surreal voice, oftentimes simple but powerful lyrics, the melancholic vibes. And that was only an album from 2000. It was 2016 now and they had released many more albums since then; I had a lot to look forward to.

Now it was the time for Kid A. I listened to "the greatest record ever made" and OK computer seemed so much better. Until I listened to Kid A again. And again. And again. And again. It remains my favorite Radiohead album to this day. The tracks like "Everything In Its Right Place", "How to Disappear Completely" and "the Motion Picture Soundtrack" make me feel sad that I only heard them recently. However, the whole album fills me with so much emotion that I'm glad I had my first taste of it when I was old enough to experience it to a fuller extent.

In the light of these two albums, I listened to "A Moon Shaped Pool" again. It was a wholly different album and more I listened to it, more personally related I became to it.

I experienced the wonders of "In Rainbows" and chuckled every time I remembered how much more Radiohead had and still has in store for me. However, I realized that Radiohead would give me as much as I put into it. If I wanted it only for its ultra-mainstream tracks, it could be that band you only listen to top 5 songs of; but, if I meditated on it, If I sought my personal links to it, if I did not underestimate its sometimes deceptive simplicity or seemingly intimidating complexity my musical experience would be greatly enriched.

Still being on the journey to its greater appreciation, I can give you one piece of advice: If you have not found yours yet, remember:
True Love Waits