My Mother, My Best Friend
Parents

My Mother, My Best Friend

Mama linda te amo.

1402
My Mother, My Best Friend
Daniela Rivas (Creator)

We all have that one best friend we believe we cannot live without. A best friend means that this person will be there for you through the best times of your life and your worst ones. This person knows every little detail about you, knows how to comfort you, understands that your feelings are valid, and is completely honest. We all have them, but my best friend is more than that. Do you have a parent as a best friend? I do. My mother is my best friend.

I cannot stress enough on how much my mother has changed my life and how wonderful it is to come home every day to see her smile. Up until now, my mother and I have a unique relationship that no other friendship can replace. My mother is the strongest woman on this planet and through everything that she has been through she remains optimistic. Her vibrant personality and kind heart are what defines her. She will go above and beyond for anyone because that is the kind of person she is. No hate. No negativity. No regrets. My mother is one of a kind.

When I was a little girl I usually saw her as the one who is the head of the house while my dad was the one that spoiled me with toys. Over the course of time, that perspective completely changed. Entering high school my mother acknowledged that the next four years would be challenging and confusing for me so she became my own guidance counselor. I went through just about everything in high school such as heartbreaks, accomplishments, failures, and multiple obstacles. Half of the time I felt completely lost because high school made me lose connection with myself and others. My mother, being the smart woman as always, knew right away what was going on, but kept quiet until I had the courage to confess. When I finally knew that I could confide in her with my everyday life never did I think how much she would help me be the person I am today.

My mother at 27 years oldFacebook

Majority of people would ask me if it was weird for me to trust my parent with my everyday life or give me looks for having such a "rare" relationship. On the contrary, I personally believe that having a strong relationship with your parent, mother or father, is beneficial and wonderful to develop. Though developing such a relationship can be extremely frightening because the expectation from confiding to your parent would most likely be an unnecessary lecture of their past, life, or a crazy story that they must have heard on the news. At first, telling my mother anything felt like a nightmare. Of course, later on she explained to me that she would attempt to be understanding of me and listen carefully to when I have something significant to say.

After a long and tiring day at work my mother still, with so little energy, she says "I want to make a nice dinner for us tonight." She is the definition of a strong empowering woman. Without her I would probably be struggling with every little thing in my life, she is the one that keeps me on track.

There is one special memory of my mother and me that I hold very dear to my heart; it determined the strength of our relationship. My high school graduation. During the ceremony, we were told to stand up and give thanks to whoever of our family members that could have made that moment possible. I remember thinking that the person who saw me grow into the woman I am today and pushed me to be the best I can after all the doubts that I received was my mother. With my diploma in my hand and beautiful white cap and gown, I stand up, turn to her, and with all my heart I scream "This is because of you."

Graduation Day 2017Facebook

The number of words and things to say about my mother will never be enough. And so I thank you, mom, for being the sunshine of my life and for everything you do for dad and me. Love you.