10 Reasons My Mom And Lorelai Gilmore Are Basically The Same Person

The Gilmore Girls is an iconic mother-daughter TV show that represents the ups and downs of life and how having your mother as your best friend helps you get through it all.

295
My mom and I
Personal Photo

After watching the Gilmore Girls while growing up and later watching it with my mom when it came out on Netflix, I have come to the conclusion that my mom is LITERALLY Lorelai Gilmore. The similarities are remarkable and undeniable. From her loving and caring persona to her fun and child-like behavior, my mother is the epitome of Lorelai Gilmore.

1. She has always been there to fix my hair.

Whether it was for pageants, dance recitals, cheer, dance line, or dates, my mom has always been there to help me fix my hair, pick out what to wear, and pick out what color lipstick to wear. She always knew just what to do to help me feel the most confident and empowered. Even if she did use an ENTIRE bottle of hairspray every time.

2. She is always there to cheer me on.

No matter how nervous I was, how many butterflies I had in my tummy, or how badly I felt like I needed to hurl, I always knew one thing for sure, my mom would be out in the audience ready to cheer me on. Once I stepped out on that stage or field or whatever platform I was performing whatever crazy activity (that my mom probably dragged me into in the first place) on, once I saw my mom there supporting me with more enthusiasm than the moms on "Toddlers in Tiaras" all my fears instantly subsided and I knew I could do it.

3. She can't survive without her caffeine.

If you have every met my mom or been around her for more than five minutes then you know she has to have her caffeine. Diet Mountain Dew is her life line! If she could literally have it in an IV she would.

4. She is more excited about my achievements than I am.

Regardless of my achievement, no matter how big or small, my mom is going to be stoked. More than stoked actually. She will tell the whole world. Seriously. Every person she comes in contact with (even random people in line to checkout at Walmart) she will tell them all about the awesome thing I did or got or can do. Even though I think she is being overdramatic at times, I always know 100% that my mom is proud of me and everything I do.

5. We can get on each other's nerves sometimes.

Just like any other mom-daughter-duo, we can get on each other's nerves sometimes! And for some reason every time one of us is in a bad mood so is the other one, which means we butt heads big time. Thankfully, this never lasts more than a few hours and then one of us does the walk of shame into the other's room to apologize and make up.

6. But we always end up joking around again.

We joke around more than anything! My mom and I have the same sense of humor and we always know just what to do or say to make each other laugh. Regardless of where we go and what we do, we have a great time! And we always end up with funny stories to tell afterward. But more importantly, my mom always taught me how to laugh and not take life to seriously.

7. Sometimes other people don't understand our inside jokes and humor. 

With our unique sense of humor and our inside jokes, it's like we have our own language. Although, we never quite realize this until we are around other people and they don't laugh at our joking commentary and funny (or at least what we thought was funny) stories.

8. Sometimes I'm more of the parent than she is.

My mom's goofy child-like self makes it seem like the roles are reversed at least 50% of the time. I find myself taking care of her, giving her advice, and picking out her outfits like any good mother would do. Honestly, it's the least I can do for all the times she's picked me up out of the dumps, helped me fix seemingly unfixable problems, and gave me advice that lasts a lifetime.

9. She gave me the best childhood anyone could ask for.

My childhood was no doubt absolutely spectacular. Every birthday party, sleepover, and play date was made possible because of my mom. The many nights of her being the entertainment to me and my overly hyper, candy stuffed friends was just a small portion of the things she did to make my life as fun, imaginative, and memorable as possible.

10. We are absolutely best friends. 

There is no doubt about this one. My mom is my #1 best friend. I know she will be there for me through thick and thin, no matter what and I couldn't do life without her. She is my inspiration, motivation, and my biggest fan.

Thank you, mom, for being there for me over the years, never giving up on me and my dreams, and for always being the cheerful and fun person you are. I am beyond thankful for you and I know I couldn't have made it to where I am today without you. I love you, mom!

Love,

Your Baby Girl