My Late Emo Phase

My Late Emo Phase

A lot of middle school and high school kids go through what is known as the "emo" or "scene" phase, but what exactly is it?

308
My Late Emo Phase
CelebMix.com

Everyone has their music phases--I, for example, have been through the Justin Bieber phase as well as the One Direction one (still in that phase of I'm being honest), and a lot of teenagers go through the famous "emo" phase. What does this mean? Well, I'm going through this time in my life right now, and this is what it's meant for me.

I was never a fan of heavy music. If it had screaming, excessive drumming, or grating electric guitar, I didn't want to go near it. But I had friends and a significant other that listened to music like that, which seemed to only strengthen my distaste. However, as of last spring, I've kind of gotten into the more mainstream pop punk/punk rock side, and that has opened up a new aspect of myself I never knew.

I've never been particularly angry or aggressive, nor have I ever had an intense hate for the entire world and a love for brooding isolation. Why did I want to listen to loud music that seemed to carry dark messages? While I'm still new at this and I can't speak for anyone else, it's mostly because the melodies are catchy and some of the songs are just plain motivating. Take "Emperor's New Clothes" by Panic! At the Disco, for example. Brendon Urie has an impressive vocal range that is very pleasing to listen to, and the lyrics encourage the listeners to take back what's theirs--to get control of their lives. I heard that song and found it incredibly energizing. I could work out for hours to that song.

Once I dipped my toes in, I found other music within the genre that fit within my softer taste, and I was hooked. I love to head bang to hard songs every now and again, but I tend to stick to the softer and lighter side.

I don't dress in all black, I don't have the 2007 fringe, I don't smoke out my liner nor do I own fingerless gloves. And for those that do, kudos to you -- I applaud you for doing things like that, I know I'd never be able to pull it off. But I can now see why that kind of music draws people in--it's meant to connect with some of the ups and downs and pains of human existence, and the lyrics are written like eloquent poetry. I can't say the same for a lot of pop songs that are on the radio (although Ed Sheeran always does a great job).

All in all, I've learned that getting a small taste of a different genre can open up a whole new world for you. I can finally place emotions I have within a song, and I have more options to try and extend both my vocal range and versatility. Sometimes, you just have to listen to some My Chemical Romance and brood about the darker things in life in order to see some more light.