My Last First Day Of School Put Everything Into Perspective For Me
Life Stages

Now's the time to shine.

33

Last week, I left my apartment at about 7:30 a.m. so that I had enough time to stop for my morning coffee and find a parking spot on campus for my 8 a.m. class: Design Fundamentals 3-D.

Although I've been running through this routine for three years now, this day felt different. I didn't feel those nervous first-day jitters we all get at the beginning of a new school year. Instead, I felt both happy and sad at the same time - almost like a numb feeling throughout both my body and brain. I didn't know how to feel, because this wasn't just another first day of school. It was my last first day of school.

As a walked into the Visual Arts Building, I took a long look around. Spray painted sculptures were lining the halls, paintings were adorning the cement walls, and an arcade cabinet full of student-programmed video games sat near the stairs up to the second floor. That moment was the last time I would step foot into VAB to start a brand new course during a brand new school year. That was the last time I would feel that moment of being terrified and excited for what's ahead, having no idea what art pieces or projects I would create by the end of the semester.

Last Monday really put everything into perspective for me. Before that morning, it hadn't hit me that I am a senior in college. It feels like just yesterday that I was a senior in high school experiencing the same mix of emotions. However, in high school, I was a little more excited to leave. Now that I will be graduating college in May, I'm feeling more pressure and stress than excitement, although I am eager to see what my future holds.

This year is all about putting together the last pieces of the puzzle that is me. Throughout the last three years, I've discovered sides to me that I didn't know existed. I've pushed myself to places I never thought I would go, and I've ventured further out of my comfort zone than I ever thought imaginable. I've grown more in the last three years and have discovered who I am more than the other 19 years of my life.

And now, I am motivated to finish strong and push myself even further. I am ready to be crazy and chase my wildest dreams because now is the time to shine. This is my moment. In 9 months, I will (hopefully) be having a new kind of first day - at my first real job.

I encourage all college seniors to push the limit. Even if you've been doing that your whole college career, take it up another level or two. This is the time to show the world, your classmates, and your professors everything you've got. It's the fourth quarter and we want to hear the crowd cheer as we walk across that stage in May.

As Steve Jobs said, "Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do."