My View On Religion Changed When I Got Closer To God

Understanding that God loves me and protects me has encouraged me to be honest with myself and the choices I make.

237

I was not raised Christian or any religion of any sort, but since I was in elementary school I always wondered what religion meant and why people practiced it. The problem is people are so verbal about stereotypes that all Christians are homophobic or believe that women should not have the right to abortions. These are both common beliefs practiced in Christianity, but it does not mean that all Christians think this way. Hearing those things that went against my beliefs scared me away from practicing any type of religion.

When I entered my junior year one of my friends said that the church she goes to, "Journey Of Faith" is welcoming of all people no matter what their race, gender, and sexuality was. I decided to try it out and I felt so welcomed and taken care of. I started to realize that the whole point of going to church is to worship God and nurture your relationship with him.

The pastor explained how God created everyone and that God loves all of his sons and daughters no matter what. That comment meant a lot to me and it still sticks with me today. Being a good Christian is loving and forgiving people no matter what because that is what God does. When people are hateful towards people who are part of the LGTBQ+ that just means that they are ignorant and intolerant, they are not preaching God's words because God is loving.

I loved the bible verses I would hear in church. I felt so uplifted after each service and applied the sermons I learned to my daily life. I learned the importance of loving others and yourself. I was taught to always go with my gut and to challenge myself. It just felt so relieving to know that God will always be here for me and have my back no matter what I was going through.

I always believed that things happen for a reason and I realized that is God. I feel like ever since I have gone to church I have a better understanding of life and what things mean. Since I am such a curious person always looking for answers, I felt that I was able to find some of those answers in the Holy Bible.

My journey of faith was confusing and a lot of people would make fun of me for going to church and still do, but I don't let it get to me. I have been a much happier person and have been able to set and accomplish more goals for myself it doesn't matter what people say about my faith. Church and just reading bible quotes is my therapy.