My Home Away From Home

My Home Away From Home

I found my family and support system at the Boys and Girls Club.

25
My Home Away From Home
Ashley O'Donnell

I grew up a Club kid. That is, I grew up in the El Pomar Boys and Girls Club. My days after school were spent playing basketball in the gym, and playing with my closest friends. Some days were spent getting involved in the programs they had to offer, and volunteering in the community. It gave me a sense of responsibility, other than the tough ones I had to deal with at home. It made me feel like my leadership was valued.

In middle school, I participated in every sports season possible, which didn’t allow me to attend the Boys and Girls Club that much. In high school, when I went back and more often to volunteer, I made more meaningful connections. I connected with staff who really cared about how my day was. They continued to ask every day, even though I was hiding so much more than what I told them. I never told them how I lost my father or that my grandmother was sick. Yet the same day I lost my grandma, I went to the Club where they comforted me as best as they could.

I also hid the harsh realities of home life. My mom would go in, and complain that I was disrespectful, and how I was at home. Yet, I still didn’t tell them I lived in a house where there was a battle with drug and alcohol abuse daily. I didn’t tell them how we had to move all the time or that my mom was in jail again. That was, until my sophomore year of high school. I got involved in a program called Youth of the Year; which is, initially paying for college. This program pushed me to open up to the staff and be vulnerable. Not just the program, but the staff. I told them things I had never told anyone, because I was so embarrassed. They helped me to realize that, I have no reason to be embarrassed because the situation was not my fault.

The Boys and Girls Club helped me meet people that I now fully consider my family, and that I love more than anything. I have a few extra brothers and sisters here and there, but the more the better. I would say that I am lucky, but I am actually blessed. Because of my family, I have the biggest support system and I owe them thanks every single day.

I was able to come to the conclusion that your situation does not have to define you, and you can create the kind of future you want. From the Boys and Girls Club, I gained confidence in myself and who I want to become. My mentors taught me that in the world I wish to create, the sky is the limit.

I learned about the true meaning of giving back. With the adversities that have been placed on my path, I learned from them and can now help guide children through tough times. I can show them that You can get through anything! All you need is a little bit of faith in yourself and to surround yourself with people who really care.