What It Was Like Losing My Home To A Fire

The 3 things I gained when I lost it all

35
Fight State

Since September 2012, I had been dreaming about the day I would graduate college. This past May, I finally did it. For about three days I lived like I was the luckiest person in the world, feeling free for the first time in 16 years. No more school, no more deadlines, no more homework. This had to be the true meaning of freedom, right?

My three days of bliss came to an abrupt ending when I was sitting in a bar and looked at my phone to see 2 missed calls from both of my brothers. I knew right away that something was wrong. I wrangled up my friends and sped back to my house, only to find that I no longer had one.

Police officers stopped me a half a mile from my address and told me I couldn't go any farther. I parked my car and sprinted as fast as I could. Red and blue lights painted my streets while I begged myself to wake up from this bizarre illusion.

The first thing I saw was my family. I hugged them like they had just returned home from the war. I watched as 6 trucks of firemen flooded my home with thousands of gallons of water. I wondered where my pets were. For 3 of them, nobody had an answer. One cat had run off after he was rescued, another was reportedly taken to the animal hospital, and another had not yet been pulled from the fire.

In a situation like this, it is so easy to fall apart. Being homeless was not how I pictured my post-graduate summer, way back in 2012. And as disappointing as it was to have my high come to an end, losing my house to a fire taught me several things I hadn't picked up on in college; 3 of which I remind myself of everyday.

1. Good people reveal themselves in terrible situations.

Before I discuss my experience any further, I think it's very important that I thank the Selden Fire Department. In a situation where people's one thought is to run away, these guys ran in, thinking only about the safety of my family and the protection of my home.

One specific fireman, Nick Mangogna, pulled my cat, Blam Blam out of my home.Though he was in critical condition from severe smoke inhalation, Nick stayed with my cat, providing him with the care that undeniably saved his life. A video of his incredible actions can be seen here. There is no way to express my appreciation for these actions, but it is so important to note the good you can find in every situation. On that hazy Tuesday night, these men and women were it.

2. Bad people reveal themselves in terrible situations.

Something my mom had commonly talked to me about was the idea of fair-weather friends. Meaning, that they only stick around for you when times are good. When I lost my home, I came to know the meaning very, very well. A lot of people came together and did some amazing things for me in my time of need. Some who I would never even expect. Friends living in other countries made arrangements to help me any way they could. Old acquaintances reached out to make sure I was okay. And yet some, who I would have called best friends at the time, did nothing- not even a phone call or text to see how I was doing.

It may seem surprising, but I am thankful for that. A traumatic situation puts all things in perspective. I learned exactly who I need to surround myself with, as well as who I needed to drop. And for that, I am a happier person with nothing but positive relationships.

3. Freedom is a state of mind.

If you said this to me before I lost my home, I probably would have blown it off without giving the notion any consideration. But now I see things a little bit differently. I thought freedom was not having to answer to my professors ever again. I thought it was being able to get a job that paid more money now that I had a degree. But it is so much more than that. Whether I wanted to admit it or not, I held myself back in college. Though I can not pinpoint the reason why, I made excuses not to pursue exciting opportunities.

I lost nearly everything I gained playing 4 years of college sports. I drove home that night fearing my family wouldn't be there waiting for me. I sat on a hospital floor crying as I watched my soot covered cat through a tiny glass panel, struggling to breath. But everything ended up okay, though there were so many chances for things not to.

I felt like I had gained a second chance at life. After that, how could I not spend it saying yes to every opportunity life threw my way? It became a very freeing mentality.

I got a surfboard. I road tripped 16 hours for a beach getaway with my friends. I hiked the Pocono Mountains. I said yes every chance I could. In the past, I would have told myself I could try all those things sometime in the future. "For now, I should save my money." "For now, I should focus on school." "For now, I should practice for soccer." I came up with any excuse that I could and I don't know why.

After seeing how quickly things could change I developed a sense of urgency on my life. I no longer want to wait for anything. I want to do everything and I want to do it right now. Because of this, I had an amazing summer, filled with nothing but new experiences. I stopped waiting to find a job and I got hired at a place that I can flourish in. I hug my pets every chance that I can. And I appreciate everything that I have.

I may have lost a lot when my house burned down, but there is no denying all that I gained. I am happier, more insightful, and ready to live the rest of my life like it can change again at any given moment.