To My Friends Still In High School

To My Friends Still In High School

My advice on how to make the most of your high school years.

13
To My Friends Still In High School

Everyone says the summer after freshman year is unlike any other. You're at such a weird in-between place. Half of me is super excited to be home and reunite with all my high school friends, but the other part of me feels like I'm leaving behind my new life at college. It's like putting everything on hold for three months to take a trip back in time. The nostalgia that comes with being home has made me reflect on some of my favorite high school memories and a few things I'd wish I'd done. So here is some advice to all of my high school friends.

Get involved. Join a team or jump headfirst into an organization that you're passionate about. One thing I miss about high school is being a part of a team. It's such an amazing way to build relationships and learn self disciple as well as teamwork. You will make friends with people you likely never would have met otherwise. The feeling of winning a game, improving at a skill, accomplishing a goal, and being a part of something bigger than yourself also exudes self confidence and a sense of purpose.

Make friends outside of your group/grade. Especially as an upperclassman, it's so easy to be exclusive. Everyone has most likely found a group of friends that they click with. Don't be afraid to meet other people. Whether it's because you have three classes together or because you're next door neighbors, get to know people outside of your circle of friends. The best way to be a role model and have an impact on others is to put yourself out there and love them no matter their age or circumstance.

Explore your hometown. Once you're in college you really learn to appreciate your hometown. Check out all the cute coffee shops, favorite restaurants, local activities, and hangout spots. I didn't learn about all the cool places and adventures to be had in my home town until my junior or senior year. Some of my favorite memories are going out to a random restaurant with friends or tanning by the river. Get out and experience your city, no matter where you live.

Take trips, outings and adventures. Whether it's to the beach for the day or the mountains for the weekend, travel with friends. The two hour car ride will go by quickly with people you enjoy being around. Some of my fondest high school memories are hiking, hanging out by the river, or annual beach trips with my friends. Get a big group together and do something adventurous.

The party scene isn't always where memories are made. My most vivid memories from my senior year are hanging out with everyone in someone's living room on a Friday or Saturday night. It doesn't have to be about partying every weekend. The true friendships, the ones that will last far beyond high school, are those made simply playing games, talking, and lying on the carpet for hours.

Take a day off every now and then. Don't get my wrong, school is extremely important. And so is attendance. But don't take it too seriously. It's okay to take a day off every now and then. In the long run, you're going to remember that trip to the lake more than you'll remember that math quiz.

Challenge yourself. High school is a time to push yourself. Do something that challenges you. Run a race, get a gym membership, or just step outside of your comfort zone. Push yourself and break your limits. You'll become a stronger person, learn so much about yourself, and realize that you can do anything you put your mind to.

Explore your passions. In high school, there is so much pressure to be the best at your sport or do what everyone else does to fit in. Don't be afraid to be you. You'll only regret the things you didn't try. If you think you'd enjoy something, don't hesitate to pursue it while you have the time to figure out if it's really for you or not.

Spend time with your family. Friends are super important, but so is family. While friends usually go separate ways after high school, your family doesn't follow you there either. Don't make your family the people you live with. Eat dinner together, plan a game night, or just spend time with one another. I promise you will miss your family just as much as you'll miss your friends once you go to college. Don't forget about them or take them for granted.

Sleep is for the weak. My final piece of advice: sleep later. In college, you have so much free time. You can take entire days off to lay in bed and watch Netflix. That isn't as practical in high school. Enjoy the busy lifestyle and don't pass up opportunities.

Most importantly, don't wish it away too quickly. College is great and completely different from high school. But there is a time and place for each phase of life. Live in the moment and make the most of your high school days while you can.