My Faith In Humanity Was Strengthened When I Survived A Flash Flood - Part 2 of 4

Getting rescued and rehabilitated initially after the flooding of October 2015, in Columbia, SC, USA.

167

First responders were able to get me into the ambulance after carrying me out of the water. The fireman who rescued me even came into the ambulance and called my mother for me. We were rushed to Palmetto Health Richland Memorial Hospital where the nurses and doctors worked quickly to get us dry and myself into a heating suit to get my body temperature back up to normal.

Over the next few hours of that, x-rays and tests, they learned that after I nearly drowned, that I was experiencing rhabdomyolysis (a condition in which damaged skeletal striated muscle breaks down rapidly). My CPK level was over 6000 - which should be in the hundreds apparently because my body was in survival mode and I was holding on to the tree in the water for over 4-6 hours, my muscles went into overdrive. They started me on intravenous fluids and admitted me overnight to watch my kidney functions. The firemen who rode in the ambulance with me checked on me often until they had to leave again.

Because of the flooding, dams breaking, road closures and curfew, my parents were unable to get to me and I spent the night at the hospital alone. Although, the staff of Richland made me feel at home and at ease, making sure I was okay physically and mentally. The social workers, nurses, technicians - all were so sweet and so gracious checking in on me. The next morning I was greeted by two of my best friends, Meg and Vince. They lived not far from the hospital and wanted to be there for me, especially since my parents couldn't get to me

October 5th, 2015 - Friends of Erika Wright visiting her in the hospital.Photo: Courtesy of Meg and Vince Romaniello

After several hours, I was discharged with the promise of keeping fluids going and taking medicine since my levels were still high at around 3000 and they need to be in the hundreds. We all thought it best for me to stay with my friends until it was safer to get home because of the evacuations, curfews and flooding.

There, my friends took care of me for almost two weeks. The two reasons were that it wasn't safe still and I didn't feel safe in a car. I had to go back in for a check-up at this point and they determined that I not only dislocated my shoulder, but I tore my rotator cuff and pinched a nerve in my ulnar (elbow.) So while they were treating me for my physical pain, they did their best to treat my nightmares and mental anguish.

You see, right after I started having nightmares every night, more vivid ones when it rained. It got to the point where I would just stay up for days because I was afraid to sleep. Not wanting to dream again, or be put back in the place where I felt trapped and alone.

October 16, 2015 - Cary Lake, Columbia, SC Photo: Courtesy of Columbia Closings

I learned in the days and weeks after how much of my state was devastated by this 1,000-year flood. I also saw how many people died and was further jolted in my being that the man in the truck nearest to my car had drowned in this tragedy. Thoughts went from, "how did I make it?" to "why did I make it?" None of it made sense, and I tried my best to rationalize. I started to get depressed, sad, angry. All the stages of grief or loss. But what did I lose aside from personal possessions?

Therapy said I had a severe form of PTSD and Survivor's Guilt. I could sympathize before with others who went through the same process, but now? Now I could not just empathize, but I could understand where they were coming from and know the exact feeling of hopelessness. After several months of recouping physically, and appealing FEMA for needing assistance for financial aid I decided to let it go. They said I had adequate health care coverage, but that still put me out a better portion of almost $18,000 - not including my car and the personal belongings inside.

It was time to turn a new leaf. Although it took a toll on every aspect of my life, I began to make changes in a lot of areas. However, I still never fully dealt with things. I didn't imagine that I would never hear from one of my sisters, nor did I imagine the backlash a few months later...