Girls Just Want Fundamental Rights And The Women's March I Attended Reminded Me Why We All Need Feminism

A day that showed me everyone needs feminism
216

Last month, I took part in one of the most exhilarating, empowering moments of my life: the Women’s March.

Across the nation, thousands and thousands of people expressed their support for women of color, trans women, LGBT women and so many more. It was an amazing sight to witness.

I woke up early on a Saturday morning and could hardly contain my excitement for the upcoming day. My sign was laid out and ready to be displayed across down Wisconsin Ave.

“Girls just want to have fundamental rights” written on one side, with “We are the granddaughters of witches you weren’t able to burn” on the other. I was proud of my work and ready to share it with all of the other people that came out.

Outside of the Milwaukee County Courthouse, on a brisk January morning, stood an army of strong, frustrated, “nasty” women. Some had returned from last year to pick up where they left off, others (like myself) were there for the first time soaking it all in.

Signs everywhere mocked Trump, his ridiculous combover and his fake spray tan. Signs encouraged Milwaukee to elect women, employ women and provide undocumented women with a place to call home.

The speakers at the rally did a fantastic job in igniting the crowd into a frenzy of liberation. From African American Senate member, Lena Taylor, to a DACA recipient, to a hopeful US veteran looking to run for State Assembly, there was a diverse group of speakers that truly included all women.

Looking out into the rally, one would have seen heads adorned with the viral pink “pussy” hats from last year’s D.C. march, everyone dressed in red as a way to support Wisconsin’s indigenous women and colorful, vibrant signs everywhere addressing most of America’s distaste with what their country has become.

The march was especially ironic, occurring the day the government shutdown also went into place. As Trump (yet, again) screwed up, people felt even more angry and frustrated, which really showed during the rally.

As the march began, echoes of “Donald Trump has got to go” and “This is what democracy looks like,” filled the bustling downtown streets. Some cars honked in support, others quickly got out of our sight, but either way the saw what we stand and fight for.

In front of the Wisconsin Center, the march led into a gathering that celebrated all types of Americans. Food vendors from any and all ethnicities greeted us cold marchers with warm meals, fundraisers were held for inner-city youth groups.

The Women's March reminded Milwaukee that anyone and everyone is welcome here, no matter how hard our commander-in-chief tries to refute that.

Just because you think you "don't need" feminism, doesn't mean women like me aren't going to stop fighting for it for everyone.