My Definition Of "Pro-Life".

My Definition Of "Pro-Life".

Let's stop making "Pro-Life" a "bad word".

14
My Definition Of "Pro-Life".
Image credit:https://www.google.com/search?q=pro+life&espv=2&biw=1032&bih=682&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi986O-v_TMAhUcGFIKHQAqBLQQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACQLG7upwKMH1IjheYObI9giB8Ytwpi8gYUd2_1wxHSaoTl1xYNUYebDThlwPHvcyTNfE0dLmL2Yv1erjpefzv7JHUJyoSCV5g5sj2CIHxEc54vq-FBaXyKhIJi3CmLyBhR3YRW1cOoEmDkncqEgn_1DEdJqhOXXBFwgPJ_1NzuztCoSCVg1Rh5sNOGXEVxlHCm1Dgi8KhIJA8e9zJM18TQR83nL5rV7PLQqEgl0uYvZi_1V6uBFq76fIsUArWCoSCel5_1O_1skdQnEcgU_13Dshgxu&q=pro%20life&imgrc=i3CmLyBhR3ZLSM%3A

If you opened this article with the preconceived idea that this would be an article on how terrible "Pro-Choice" people are, I want to apologize.

If you opened this article expecting me to tell you how much better "Pro-Life" people are, I want to apologize.

If you have ever been screamed at outside of a health clinic, or stared down by angry sign holders on the corner of a busy intersection, or judged on a decision you may have contemplated, or even decided to have done yourself... I want to sincerelyapologize.

Please, don't get me wrong- I am not apologizing for being Pro-Life. After researching what types of procedures are considered legal abortions in the United States, at what time period during pregnancy they can be performed, and that a baby's heart and brain begin developing at six weeks old, I made the decision to personally choose against the practice of abortion as a means of birth control/birth prevention. That doesn't mean that I am totally hateful towards those who think differently than me; The point of this article is to express what being Pro-Life truly means, and degrading another person's views just because they are different than mine- is DEFINITELY not that.
What I am apologizing for, is for the people who claim to be Pro-Life, but don't truly understand what they are pledging to be.

Let's break it down:

The prefix "Pro" generally states to be in support of something, or for the advancement of an idea or object. "Life" refers to living organisms, in our case, human life. Ultimately, what the definition of these two words are stating when put together is the advancement and protection of life itself; an equal opportunity for all living beings. So why is it that when typed into google, the definition of "Pro-Life" is strictly that in relation to the life of an unborn baby? What about the mothers who find themselves contemplating abortion, feeling as though it is their last resort- the last place to turn? Why do many Pro-Life protesters flood the entrances of clinics to shout hate and conviction?

If we claim to be those in favor of protecting human life, this should go far beyond just the womb.
What about immigrants who need our help, or a helping hand from anyone who can give them one?
What about homeless men and women on the sides of the streets with no place to call home, and no definite meal for the night? What about the numerous children in orphanages with no place to truly feel safe, or funds to have the opportunity to live a "normal" life? What about our veterans who gave their life to protect our freedom, who are now out of work and can't earn any wages for themselves or their families? What about the men and women who are sexually assaulted, or those who are afraid to be who they truly are because of stereotypes and hate they'll receive from people who are close to them, or people who don't even know their name? A large part of being Pro-Life is about protecting innocent life, before being given the chance to enter this magnificent, flawed world; but it should also be about protecting human life in every form.
Every age, every gender, every color, every religious belief should all be valued and protected. As humans, we are so very flawed- so who are we to think we are any better than any of these people mentioned above?

To our political leaders: instead of spending money funding abortions (or on your political campaigns/more pay raises for your friends,) why are we not funding therapy and counseling, or doctor visits for those mothers who were victims of rape so they wouldn't have to suffer mentally or financially, or feel as though abortion is their only option?
Why are we not giving young students well funded sex education, why are we not teaching them on what abortion actually is and how/when it is performed if we want to prevent it? Why are we not embracing our people, why are we instead turning them away and giving them a false idea on what our main purpose is in the first place: to give EVERY human life a chance- not just before they exit the womb, but for all the steps after that, too?

Just because I am Pro-Life, does not mean that I am "Anti-Women" or "Anti-Love" or "Anti-Compassion". It's time that we, as a Pro-Life movement, start to live up to our title.

If you would like more (unbiased) information/facts on abortion, feel free to follow the links below:

For information abortion procedures and at what time in the pregnancy they can be performed, click here:

1. http://americanpregnancy.org/unplanned-pregnancy/abortion-procedures/

2. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/abortion/page4_em.htm#types_of_abortion

For information on fetal development, click here:

1. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002398.htm

2. http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/landing.aspx