My Clothing Is Not An Invitation

My Clothing Is Not An Invitation

An outfit does not ask for anything...

1902
My Clothing Is Not An Invitation

My clothing is not an invitation for you to come grab me at the bar. It is not an invitation for you to invade my space and grind all up on me. My clothing is not an invitation to be cat called. I do not wish to be whistled at like some pet. My clothing is not an open invitation for you to take advantage of me. I did not ask you to spike my drink, or even buy me a drink. My clothing is not an invitation to verbally harass me or critique my body. It is not an invitation to be insulted.

My clothing is not worn to impress and attract you. My clothing is worn for my comfort and is a measure of MY confidence. I do not wear a low cut shirt and tight jeans to the bar because I want free drinks all night or because I am trying to “get some.” I wear my low cut shirt and tight jeans because I am confident that I look good and who doesn’t like to feel good about themselves? I do not wear a sports bra and spandex to the gym or while out for a jog because I want to attract people to me. I do not want the attention, I simply do not want to be overheated when working out. I should not have to wear a sweatshirt and sweat even more because you can’t keep your eyes to yourself and worry about your own workout. I do not wear leggings because I want to distract the boys at school. I wear leggings because they are much more comfortable than jeans in my opinion and my comfort is important to me. I do not wear a bikini to the beach to be stared at and judged, I wear it because it is hot out and I want to tan.

Let’s be clear; no matter what my outfit is, I am not asking for anything. I am not asking to be whistled at and degraded. I am not asking for attention or to be harassed. I am not asking to be judged based on my body type; large or small, highly developed or under developed. I am not asking to be raped or sexually assaulted. I was not asking for it.

My clothing is not an invitation. My clothing is a reflection of my confidence and comfort. I wear what I am comfortable in, I wear what I think I look good in. I dress for myself, to express myself. Do not shame me for my clothing. Do not try to ruin my self esteem. Do not make me think I am the problem because I wear a certain outfit. I am not the problem. My clothing is not the problem. Those who blame pieces of material for the actions of others and to excuse others inability to control their actions are the problem. I should not have to defend my clothing choices. I should not have to be defending myself. My clothing is never an invitation.