My Christmas List Then VS Now

My Christmas List Then VS Now

All I want for Christmas is...

16
My Christmas List Then VS Now
The Fault Report

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, everyone seems to be in the Christmas spirit! Black Friday weekend kicked off a lot of Christmas shopping for some people, while others will inevitably wait until the very last minute. Regardless of when you decide to begin your shopping, it's always helpful to have a general idea of what to get the people in your life. At 22 years old, I still write out a Christmas list to give my family members that repeatedly ask me what I want or need. I've noticed that over the years, my list has changed quite dramatically. I used to flip through store catalogs and circle all of the toys I hoped to find under the tree Christmas morning, but now it seems that everything I want can't be found in stores.

Here is a look at what my list looked like when I was a child compared to what it looks like now:

Then: A Barbie doll

Now: Clothes

Back then I longed for a pretty doll I could play with. I had more fun imagining life scenarios for this doll than anything else. Barbie's life was all fun and no play. Unfortunately, that's not how life works! I loved to dress her up but I had no interest in receiving clothes myself. That was the type of gift I always hated growing up. Now, I repeatedly ask anyone looking to buy me something to please get me a gift card or something from my shopping wish list because I have a shopping addiction. I don't need more clothes, but I definitely want more clothes.

Then: Video games

Now: A good night's sleep

I was OBSESSED with playing video games when I was younger. Anything I could have for my PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Gameboy, etc. was something I looked forward to receiving. I would happily stay up late to get to the next level, but at my age now, finding time to sleep in is my main concern. Give me a solid amount of time to rest and then I will be happy.

Then: Art supplies

Now: For my student loans to be paid off

I don't know what it was about getting a new art supply kit that made me so excited, but I truly loved it. Pastels, paint, colored pencils, really anything that allowed me to express myself creatively was a great gift choice. I still love art, but I would love being free of the crushing weight of student loans more. Yes PLEASE.

Then: Silly putty

Now: Alcohol

I can clearly recall third grade being the primetime every kid asked for silly putty. If you didn't have some of your own, you weren't cool. It was a small present, but provided enough entertainment for younger me. I could pick some silly putty up now and still be easily distracted but not for much longer than I used to be. This would be why alcohol is the better choice this Christmas. It's also something that could be shared and makes a nice stocking stuffer.

Then: Hula hoop

Now: The leading man in my favorite rom-com

There was not much I loved more than showing up some other kid when it came to hula hooping. I was the BEST. I could swing it around my waist, arm, neck, knees, ankles, you name it! Though, I think if given the choice this time around, I'd definitely rather be gifted one of the leading men from my favorite romantic comedies. I'm thinking Chris Pine, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds... the list could go on. If you need a more comprehensive list, I would be glad to send one.

Then: Mighty Beans

Now: Animals

Collecting and trading mighty beans was an exciting activity during my childhood. I remember how devastated I was the day we sold my collection at a yard sale. Looking back, I'm not entirely sure what was so entertaining about them other than the cool character designs. Needless to say, I will not be asking for them for Christmas, but I would happily take a plethora of cute little animals. They make everything better.

Then: Twister

Now: For stupid people to fall off the face of the Earth

Twister was always a thrilling game to break out at a birthday party or sleepover. I'll still play it if someone recommends it. While it can definitely provide a good time for a little bit, I can think of a million other things I'd rather have this year. In particular, it'd be really nice if stupid people could just disappear. I'll take one day free of them, but I'd really prefer to go the rest of my lifetime without coming across that nonsense.

Then: Easy-Bake Oven

Now: An endless supply of food

An Easy-Bake oven made any dessert exciting, even if the end product did taste like cardboard. It was more about the aesthetic, or just the simple idea that I could make a personal cake on my own while being that little. I no longer need a tiny little girl oven, but that doesn't mean I enjoy making myself food like I did then. If possible, I would love to receive the gift of an endless supply of food. Lots of food. For free. I can't imagine anything better.

Then: Lite Brite

Now: A high paying job with benefits

Back in the day, getting lit just meant breaking out the Lite Brite. There were so many options for what you could put together, it was guaranteed to be amusing. Being an adult, you tend to gravitate towards anything amusing to distract you from the weight of every day responsibilities, but I can also think of something better to help me out: a high paying job with benefits. It might not be the most joyous time, but it will certainly provide me with necessary life things that will reduce my financial stress in a way a lite brite can't!

Then: A bike

Now: A vacation

At a young age, biking was associated with enjoyment. Now, it just reminds me of physical activity which I have no interest partaking in. It's the opposite of relaxation. Therefore, I am switching it out on my list for a peaceful vacation. Where? Somewhere that has warm weather and a beach. Please and thank you.

If I could even get just one of these things for Christmas, it will be a good year.