A Look Back At The Disney Villains Of My Childhood

Thoughts on the Disney villains I grew up with

315

I have been in a crazy nostalgic mood lately and have constantly been thinking about the good ol' Disney movies I grew up watching. As I look back and see my favorite Disney guys and gals, I can't help but realize what an essential role the villains played in determining my favorite Disney movies. So, without furter ado, allow me to share my thoughts on the wonders (and short comings) of Disney Villains.

(Personal opinions and ratings, please don't @ me)

1. Queen of Hearts 

Disney Therapy GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Okay, so, as a kid, I loved Alice in Wonderland! As I grew older, I realized how trippy the original animated movie was. However, I still gotta give props to this great Disney villainess, the Queen of Hearts. Her decapitation obsession, powerful set of lungs, and violently narcissistic behaivor wonderfully frightened me as a child, which makes her an a-okay antagonist in my book!

Rating: 5/10

2. Captain Hook

Peter Pan Disney GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

I freakin' love Peter Pan! He was my first ever character crush (I've been loving that boy since I was three years old). But this post isn't for him, it's for the horrible pirate who tried to, well, kill him. As a child, there was no bigger baddie than the evil Captain Hook; after all, he was trying to harm my precious Peter. Nowadays, however, I realize he musn't have been that tough if he was thwarted by a kid! Still, he's a fantastic childhood villain.

Rating: 8/10

3. Cruella De Vil

101 Dalmatians GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

*Jazzy villain theme song starts playing in my head* Ah, Cruella! This maniacal diva is one of the best Disney villainesses to ever appear on screen (in my opinion). She's a wonderful mixture of crazy and fabulous; her dastardly plot to slaughter puppies for her own gain is despicable, but her commanding presence deserves admiration.

Rating 9.5/10

4. Shere Khan 

The Jungle Book GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Suave, cunning, chill, and frightening! Shere Khan utterly terrified me as a child. I recognized him as the powerful hunter he was, and the thought of him harming or even killing anyone of my beloved Jungle Book characters horrified me. But, then and now, his almost operatic, bass voice enchanted me; in my opinion, a fantastic voice helps make a fantastic villain.

Rating: 9/10

5. Prince John 

Sad Prince John GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Prince John . . . not the greatest, in my opinion. He was a good antagonist, don't get me wrong, but he always seemed to be more comedic to me rather than villainous. Comedic and honestly kind of pitiful. But, as far as Disney characters go, not that bad; Prince John had some intriguing little quirks (the thumb sucking, an interesting laugh, extreme mommy issues etc.) that made him very entertaining. Also, what Prince John lacked in frightening villainy, he did make up for in posing very real threats to the subjects of his kingdom (unjust taxation, imprisonment, and execution).

Rating: 4/10

6. Madame Medusa 

The Rescuers Disney GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

*Shudders* Madame Medusa was one of the villainesses that just creeped me out as a kid. I appreciate a bit of haunting beauty in female villains, but Madame Medusa was just . . . ugly. To those who have seen The Rescuers (and if you haven't, you really need to), do you remember the scene where Medusa calls Penny in to talk while removing her makeup? When that woman ripped of her fake eyelashes and stretched her eyelid out so unnaturally, I was thouroughly disturbed; no joke, I didn't wear fake eyelashes until my late teens because that scene haunted my memory. Outward looks aside, Medusa was a great villainess. She was psychopathic, treasure-crazed, power-hungry, and utterly heartless (she tried to kill a little girl, for crying out loud); plus, she had two pet crocodiles, which is kinda badass now that I think about it!

Rating: 7.75/10

7. Professor Ratigan 

The Great Mouse Detective Disney GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

To the world's greatest criminal mind!!! I think the Great Mouse Detective was my first introduction to anything Sherlock Holmes related, so I owe the start of my obsession to this fantastic movie! Ratigan is probably my most favorite Disney villain ever; he definitely dominated the fear-factor chart I had as a kid. Now that I'm older, I can't help but appreciate his dashing and debonair sense of villainy. And can we just take a moment to praise his wardrobe? I mean, I know he's a rat and all, but talk about outfit on fleek; the top hat, ascot, and cape (for dramatic flair, of course) makes Ratigan one of the best dressed Disney villains, in my opinion.

Rating: 10/10

8. Ursula 

Ursula GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Hmmmm . . . I don't know what to say about Ursula. I actually didn't watch the Little Mermaid until I was thirteen (don't judge, okay?), but, even though I was older, I was still slightly frightened by the Sea Witch, especially when she became all-powerful for . . . three minutes. Okay, so, not super impressive. While Ursula may not be an absolute fav, I do still admire this snarky, drag queen-esque villainess. And her plan to take over the Sea was pretty ingenious, I must admit; she was smart enough not to directly attack Triton, but instead find his greatest weakness (Ariel). Plus, Poor Unfortunate Souls is an amazing song!

Rating: 5.5/10

9. Percival C. McLeach

The Rescuers Down Under Animation GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

This guy is another one of those Disney villains that felt real enough to really give me a fright as a child. I mean, I knew he was just an animated character, but he wasn't outlandishly villainous, so my mind saw him as a more plausible threat. His crimes were pretty heinous, too: animal poaching, kidnapping, and attempted murder, to name a few. He may not be the brightest bulb in the box ("I didn't make it all the way through third grade for nothing!"), but it just goes to show that evil doesn't necessarily have to be brilliant.

Rating: 8/10

10. Gaston 

Beauty And The Beast Books GIF by Disney - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Oooohhhh don't get me started on this male chauvinist! Y'know, there are villains that you absolutely love; like, you know they're evil and all, but they're super cool, and you fall for them despite their villainy! Then there are the villains that you just truly despise! But if they're actions kindle a burning fire of hatred within you, then they are just as good of a villainous character as those that you fall in love with. Gaston is one of the villains I despise the most. He hates books, sees Belle as a prize to be won, is extremely narcissistic, belittles others, is horribly jealous, and has an insanely violent temper. A good villain overall!

Rating: 7.75/10

11. Scar 

Disney Scar GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Scar and Shere Khan have always kind of been on the same level, in my mind. They both have that suave, chilling vibe to them that I cant help but find fascinating. But, I think Scar beats out Shere Khan just a tad. Scar's cool, sarcastic, devil-may-care attitude and his more widespread reign of terror makes him a better villain. Plus, he murdered his own brother! Talk about heartless!!! Another thing that makes Scar better than Shere Khan is that he has his own song; while I've only ever watched the Lion King once, Be Prepared still resounds in my head from time to time.

Rating 9.5/10

12. Claude Frollo 

Ted Cruz Trump GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

This man . . . this man's just evil. Like, with most villains, I am intrigued by their "cool evil" vibe, but that's pretty much non-existent in Frollo. Right out of the gate, he kills a mother and tries to murder a baby! He lies, emotionally manipulates and imprisons an innocent, kind-hearted young man, lusts after a woman, and, when she rejects him, he tries to burn her at the stake!!! I mean this guy is E-V-I-L!!! But, ya know, evil = villainous, so Claude Frollo still ranks as one of my favorite villains.

Rating: 8.5/10

13. Hades 

Evil Laugh GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Oh, Hades! He's another all time fav of mine. Ya know, when I was little, I despised Hades simply because he was the villain, obviously. But as I grew older, I discovered that this dude is awesome! His sass alone is worth all the accolades of a die-hard Disney fan. Plus, he's got some of the greatest lines in the movie, my favorite being his quip when asked how the Underworld is: "Well, they're just fine. You know, a little dark, a little gloomy. And, as always, hey, full of dead people. What are you gonna do?"

Rating: 9/10

14. Yzma 

Emperors New Groove Disney GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

This woman, this queen, is my all time, most favorite Disney villainess! Sure she's old and decrepit, but this living fossil of a woman dethroned a monarch and took over an entire civilization! Emperor's New Groove has some of the best lines of any Disney movie, and Yzma has some of the most wonderful quotes of all time; her fantastically giddy little monologue about how she'll get rid of Kuzco still brings a smile to my face.

Rating: 10/10

15. Henry J. Waternoose and Randall Boggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp_p___Dtb0&t=45s and https://giphy.com/gifs/monsters-inc-randall-3ohzUwe0xkHCRSLNVC

Yeah, I know these are two villains, and that this technically means I have nineteen favorites instead of eighteen, but I couldn't imagine writing about one without the other, so I lumped them togehther. First of all, even at a young age, I appreciated the way the writer's built Randall up to be the main villain, when, plot twist, it was actually Waternoose! Randall's slimy, sleazy nature repulsed and frightened me as a child, but the terror he instilled in me was nothing compared to Waternoose. The scene where that six-legged thing chases Sully and Boo and then tries to claw his way into the kid's room still gives me chills! What a great villainous duo!

Rating: (Waternoose) 8/10

Rating: (Randall) 7.85/10

16. Mother Gothel 

Mother Gothel Life GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

And the Best Mother of the Year Award goes to . . . not Mother Gothel, that's for sure. Horrible, horrible excuse of a mother, but an excellent modern Disney villainess! Again, this is another character that has very real qualities to her; granted, it's most likely that no one nowadays would kidnap a child because she has magical hair that can restore youth, but kidnapping is a very real life threat. Kidnapping, horrendously powerful emotional manipulation, and murder makes Mother Gothel an excellently chilling villainess. Also, Mother Knows Best is a FANTASTIC song!

Rating: 9/10

17. Prince Hans 

Princess Anna Disney GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

*Sigh* I had such high hopes for Prince Hans. I mean, I knew as soon as Kristoff and Anna met that Hans wouldn't end up marrying Anna, but the whole "If only there was someone out there who loved you" scene still took me by surprise! His seemming perfection throughout the whole movie lead me to really want to buy into the theory that the trolls cast a spell on him to turn him evil so that Kristoff could be with Anna, but that's probably unrealistic. If Hans was indeed evil from the very beginning, he is the epitome of cunning villainy. He charmed his way into everyone's hearts (well, my heart at least), only to backstab us all by trying to murder Anna and Elsa and take over Arendelle. Not the best villain overall, but still fantastic.

Rating: 7/10

18. Robert Callaghan 

Big Hero 6 Hearts GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Ah, revenge. A great reason to succumb to villainous ways! When Big Hero 6 first came out, I was obsessed; it was a new kind of Disney movie and I loved it so much. And I was most certainly intrigued by the myserious villain, the man in the Kabuki mask. However, while it was still kind of a shock that Professor Callaghan was the villain . . . actually, no, it wasn't. I didn't deduce he was the villain through any particular character traits; he really did seem like a great guy at the beginning. I just eventually figured that since they were putting waaaaay too much emphasis on Alistair Krei being the villain, it actually had to be someone else. And while what Callaghan did is inexcusable, it is understandable; I can imagine the lengths someone would go to out of grief for losing their child. Great job, Disney, on creating a decent modern villain with depth.

Rating: 6/10