Muslims In America
Politics

Muslims In America

Quick to judge, slow to think.

9
Muslims In America
Pedro Bonilla

Our country was founded based upon diversity and unity. The values that we uphold represents our character and inner morals. When we deny a group entry to our country, how does that reflect upon us? How does it look when we turn away thousands of individuals fleeing from their ravaged cities tainted from the bloodstains of war? What about the children, sometimes separated from their parents, and families torn from each other through the acts of war? Where do these people belong?

We are all immigrants. We are descendants from all around the globe and we represent the various cultural backgrounds of our distant ancestors. We embrace the cultural diversities in America and learn from one another, thriving and developing in the process. We begin innovating, embracing newfound ideas and inventing ways to better our country.

To single out a single race is to put the blame on every single individual who is of that race or religion. To generalize Islam and Muslims alike and say that they are a threat to our country is absolutely uncalled for. Islam does not condone killings of innocent lives and Islam respects the values of others so long as their religion is not being under attack. The extremists that are out there killing and torturing in the name of Allah are not Islamic. They represent nothing from the teachings of the Quran and they betray the morals of being a Muslim. How is it okay to discriminate against Muslims yet give priority to Christians? Whatever happened to the separation of church and state? Equality is an important value that we have to teach in this country. No one religion should have absolute priority over the other. We need to respect and allow all religions to co-exist with each other in harmony.

We know that terrorist attacks have been made by both American citizens and those without citizenship. It is NOT the refugees' fault. Before we go pointing the fingers at someone, how about we look to ourselves as the source of the problems. We always seem to be able to point the fingers easily at everyone else, but we do not have the courage to admit when we are the ones who have started this in the first place. The people of this country have started racial tensions between the whites and the blacks. It was the United States that put the Japanese into concentration camps. It was we, the white men and women, who kicked the Indians out of their land and begun westward expansions.

If anything is for certain, we are the true monsters and terrorists of America.

Not the refugees.