Musings from a 5'4" Male

Musings from a 5'4" Male

Good things come in small packages

1509
Musings from a 5'4" Male
DailyMail

Dear Society,

Here’s a fun fact: less than 5% of all American males are my height (5’4”)! I am truly ~one in a million~. In all seriousness, being on the shorter side certainly has its downsides, along with some perks. Here’s what it’s like:

1. You're not taken as seriously as your "average"-sized peers.

Because you are pint-sized, you are considered “cute” rather respected on your own merits. Short characters have long been the objects of slapstick comedy. Even historically, one cannot think of Napoleon Bonaparte without snickering his “short height” and the complex that bears his name. When smaller people assert themselves, they are often laughed at, rather than taken seriously. In fact, height has been found to be an advantage in the job market. Rather than being considered for their likability and savvy, job candidates are often judged on their appearance, with height a contributing factor. According to economists Nicola Persico, Andrew Postlewaite, and Dan Silverman, there is a 1.8% increase in wages for every additional inch of height. Being taller is rewarded for some strange reason.

2. Dating can be tricky.

According to the popular adage, women often look for men who are “tall, dark, and handsome.” What about guys who are “short, pale, and cute”? I often feel like I’m not noticed simply because of my height – that girls are immediately deterred by how short I am. Many envision a picture of a tall man protecting his female. Doing so, however, only reinforces the patriarchy that many are trying to shake. I would advise women not to search for a man to defend them, but instead learn to love and protect themselves. Please remember to love with your hearts and not your eyes and cardboard cutouts!

3. You're constantly mistaken for a child.

People with a smaller stature are often thought to be younger than they really are. In fact, some individuals deduce that young adults who are short, are nothing more than teenagers who have yet to hit their growth spurt. At 20 years old, I am most likely done growing. My body may be “androgynous” and I may look “young” but that does not make me any less of a man, any less wise, and any less worthy of your respect.

With that being said, smaller individuals can definitely use this youthfulness to their advantage. Although we will be ID’d until we’re 35, many of us can get children/teenager discounts. And when we’re 80, we’ll still look 60!

4. You learn to use your height to your advantage.

I often get away with things because of my smaller size. I can ask for help reaching the top shelf, I can avoid having to lift heavy packages, and I can reap the teenagers’ discount. I may be small, but I have a big personality. I have learned to connect with people on an emotional, rather than surface, level. I have learned to love my body for what it is – nothing more than the temple of my soul. I thank God for granting me with a body and for making me the way that He did.

Ultimately, good things really do come in small packages. But, we should not need a cutesy mantra to know this and respect our shorter brethren. In a world full of many different forms of prejudice, please do not overlook how height and size can distort your perceptions and judgments.