Musing On Artificiality

Drake's Too Good's beat is a more tropical infused, natural version of the artificial mechanical beat of his single Hotline Bling. In some ways Hotline Bling is a reverse of Too Good. In Hotline Bling it's Drake who upset that his lover is "getting higher than..[his] expectations". Artifical is the best word to describe Hotline Bling. Which sounds like Drake is trying to compose that type of pseudo tropical lounge music that a hotel lobby would play after 2:00 AM with pre installed cellphone ringtones, perhaps to give the idea of what the titular "bling" sounds like. I'm glad that I have the beginings of a definition of a genre based on motifs that related to a more mechanical or societially based tradition. Another genre that fits nicely into this paradigm is rococo.

Rococo (or late baroque) was a period of art from the early to mid 1700's. It's both a celebration of the "artificial", while also being a reaction to and subversion of the Classical period popularized during the Renaissance. (As an aside the Renaissance or Renaissances, as almost every country had one, last from the 1400-1600s all told). The Classical period valued the transcendent. This means doing the necessary actions to protect one's country (Greek heros fighting in war, diplomats signing a treaty next to a skull, symbolizing the consequences their duties can have) or appease the heavens (hence all your lovingly detailed pictures of Greek gods solemnly acting out various scenes from mythology) and ancestral statues. (Explaining why so many portraits of this era have the owner's wear laurel leaves, it's siginifying that their prosperity goes back to Roman times).

Rococo on the other hand, comes from the period that captilized on the Renaissance's gains. Ships from Atlantic colonies flooded Western Europe with exotic materials. Combine that with shifts in work schedules allowing for disposable income and leisure time among the aristocratic and wealthy non nobility, and you have perfect recipe to create a relitively large market for consumer goods, which Rococo celebrates.

So we now have pastel colors everywere depicting the bourgoise messing around on swings, dancing at outdoor parties, and going to puppet shows. If there are Greek gods, they're lazing about or applying make up in fancy boudiors. Rococo values youth and consumer goods and conspicuious consumption. It boldly states that it's nice to have things that are fun, showy, and will probably break after a few uses. Things that can only come from artificial devolpments like a booming economy, or the societal desire to flaunt wealth or have fun. Yes, you can argue that overfocusing on the artifical leads to superficiality or a numbness to political issues, but it can also lead to something as bold and bizarre as using ring tones to create a tropical beat.