It Is Easy As Pie To Fall For The New Musical "Waitress"

Whisk away troubles, add singing and a sprinkle of humor.

151

For all of you musical buffs (and even possible musical newbies), I am here to tell you that "Waitress" is the next show you should add to your must-see list. While it hasn't received the hype that "Hamilton" has in the news, it has many distinct and unique features of its own.

I was a skeptic at first. After seeing "Hamilton," I felt that no other show would ever live up to the highly-acclaimed theater experience. I took my seat and was pleasantly surprised at both the story being portrayed through the actors, but the amazing music which was written by one of my favorite singers, Sara Bareilles. The plot was both equally hilarious and heartfelt at the same time. Each song had a catchy melody and was played by an onstage-band. This was one aspect I preferred to the "Hamilton" hype. While I could sing "Hamilton" songs for hours on end, the one thing that was a little disappointing was the fact that the only difference between listening to the soundtrack and going to the show, is the dancers. The live music in "Waitress" was exceptional, while I did feel that the show lacked the aspect of dancers.

The whole musical is based upon a waitress who finds out early on in the show that she will be expecting a child with her borderline-abusive, high-school-sweetheart-turned-husband. She is devastated at the news, though is surrounded by her supportive co-workers who are also on the hunt for love. Through the trials of pregnancy, she finds strength and courage to take the situation head-on and stand up for herself… for the sake of her baby on the way.

An important factor in musicals for me is the balance of comedy and drama. While I did love the show, and it had many funny moments, there were a few parts of the show that dragged on a bit and were a bit emotional for me. I like to go to a show to be entertained by the dancers and the upbeat, musical-theatre music; with a few moments of sadness. When I start to feel on the verge of tears more than two times, I tend to feel a bit overwhelmed. This being said, some people love shows that make them emotional, and for you, this is a winner!

I am no theater critic, but from my point of view as an infrequent theater-goer, this show gets my vote! Sure, "Hamilton" has been stealing the spotlight in the world of theatrics, but this is not to say the other handful of shows are not amazing as well! Not only was it visually appealing, but the music is impeccable too! The mastermind of Sara Bareilles, and her lyrics that will make you both laugh and cry, did a remarkable job narrating the voice of each character.

Next time you want to stick your nose up at the lesser-known shows, try to come down from your high horse of extreme theatrical knowledge and take a chance on this show! I promise you won't be disappointed, and you might find yourself to be a sweet-tooth for this heartwarming sho