6 Artists You Need To Know

6 Artists You Need To Know

Music to your ears

22
6 Artists You Need To Know
The Telegraph UK

I am obsessed with all forms and genres of music, except country. I know I'm from Texas, but I just can't do it. Music is a big part of my life, and I am always on the hunt for something new, but these six artists are in my opinion, underrated, and deserve more praise, so I'm going to give it to them! I highly recommend after reading this to listen to their music, and I know you'll be thanking me.

1. Troye Sivan

Music has become so loud and crass with each passing year, but in the ring, comes Troye Sivan with his debut album "Blue Neighborhood." He isn’t just your young, run of the mill pop singer. He is an artist and tells a story with each song. His music is so raw and open hearted. You can’t help but fall in love with him. He has elements that make his music so special, like the hip-hop beat mixed in with the little voices of a kid’s choir in his song “Wild.” In his song, “Fools,” you get this electronic/R&B vibe that complement each other so well. Troye Sivan started his rise to stardom on YouTube, and just went up from there. Right now, he is on his "Blue Neighborhood" tour, spreading his voice all over the world. I am so salty I didn’t get tickets. I stumbled on Troye one night while in one of those black holes you find yourself in on YouTube about four years ago and I have been a fan ever since! If I had to choose a favorite I would pick “Lost Boy,” not only because it’s a nod to my favorite Disney movie, but also the message it gives that it’s okay to be lost in your life, and you don’t have all the answers right now, which I’m pretty sure every college kid can relate to.

2. Chelsea Lankes

I have been a Chelsea Lankes fan for about five years now, and to me this girl can do no wrong. Every song that this indie pop artist puts out is pretty much gold. There is something about her voice that is so unique and beautiful, she’s got you hanging from every word. Her newest single from her highly anticipated EP (coming soon I hope), “Bullet,” is the ultimate break up song and will have you jamming out in no time! Her bubbly, upbeat energy compliments her feather-like sound so perfectly, she kind of reminds me of Carly Rae Jepsen, only better. “I’m better than I’ve ever looked/And boy I never felt this cool/I saw you with that other girl/And I hope that was ooh/I dodged the bullet with you”— when I hear this line, all I can say is YAASSSS girl! My favorite song of her’s is probably “Too Young To Fall in Love” which is a Motley Crue cover that she does flawlessly. I think Chelsea is one of the most underrated artists of this year, but I have a feeling she’s going to make it big! Plus she’s a Texas gal, so show her some love!

3. Jasmine Thompson

Jasmine Thompson is a British singer with an astonishing talent for stripping the every-day pop songs and transforming them into something so beautiful. She also has original music from her EP called "Under The Willow Tree." She has such a beautiful, ghostly, haunting voice (I mean that in the best way). I think what makes her such a gem is she music is so simple, she doesn’t need all of that studio garbage to make her voice sound amazing. All she needs is a piano and her light as a feather soprano vocals and you’ve got something great!

4. Oh Wonder

Oh Wonder London based singer/songwriting duo Anthony West and Josephine Vander Gucht. Together they create mellow, groovy beats with some R&B sprinkled in. If I had to put them in a category, I would say they are considered airy-atmospheric pop. Their two voices blend effortlessly together and are so refreshing. As of right now they only have the one album, because they released one song a month for a year, but let's keep our fingers crossed that there will be many more in the near future!

5. Wild Wild horses

Most of these artists on this list are similar, but Wild Wild Horses is something completely different. This alternative rock band is something of beauty! At first listen, they sound just like every other alternative band, but I think it’s their lyrics that set them apart from the masses: “Tame the wild nights/ And all the demons I was hiding in my silence/ Scream out all the words you should have heard But I let burn and never spoke since.” I mean, if that doesn’t send a little chill up your spine, I don’t know what will. Their video that was released with their EP (which was directed by the amazing and talented Jennifer Morrison), really tells a story and adds another element that makes their music great! I think they have great potential and I can’t wait to hear more from them.

6. 1975

Of course, I saved the best for last. If you haven’t heard of the 1975 you are truly missing out. These four British guys are making musical magic. After their success from their first album in 2013 they released their newest album "I Like It When You Sleep For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It." Yes, the title is a bit long, but when you have an album this great, you can name it whatever the hell you want. The 1975 are hands down my favorite band and I can honestly say that this album is the most perfect thing I have ever owned. I love that they have this slight 80’s funk with certain songs like “Love Me” and “She’s American,” then you have songs that build off this slow electric vibe like “Somebody Else” and “If I Believe You” (which songs just happen to be my favorite). I think one of the many things that makes this album so perfect is how much emotion and heart was poured into it. Honestly, a few songs made me cry, but I think that’s amazing that a song can touch you so much that it brings you to tears. Picking my favorite from this album is like having to pick your favorite child, but we all know that parents do that, so I would have to pick “If I Believe You.” I’m not kidding when I say that I listen to this song 30 times a day on repeat and still haven’t gotten tired of it. This song is just so real, raw and haunting and so much more. All I can say is that I am absolutely ecstatic for their concert next month. I’m pretty sure I will have to be medicated.

You're welcome.